Devotional 1.9 | Space for Grace | Psalm 40 | Delighting in God

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 9th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 39-43​

Psalm 40

To do Thy pleasure is my delight, and Thy law is in my inmost heart.

Psalm 40:8, Praise Songs of Israel - DeWitt

Theme: Delighting in God.

Background: This Messianic Psalm points to Calvary and his Jesus’ resurrection.

January 9th  THE PSALMS image.jpg

40:2-3 “He brought me up out of a horrible pit … many will see it and fear and will trust in the Lord.”

When was Jesus raised from a pit? (Gen 37:28; Jer 38:13; Acts 2:24-28) What effect should this have upon us? (Acts 26:19-21; Rom 10:9-10) Has he become your life?

40:7-8 “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”​

Can you provide three clear examples where the “scroll” of the OT accurately previewed the life of Christ? (Luke 24:27; John 5:39,46) We can say of Jesus that he delighted to do God’s will from his heart; why can the same be said of true Christians? (Heb 10:9-10,14-18; Rom 7:22)

40:9-10 “I have not restrained [kala'] my lips…not hidden [kacah] your deliverance … not concealed [kachad] your steadfast love.”​

Jesus did not hide the good news of salvation (John 17:4; 18:37). David uses three alliterative Hebrew words to describe a tendency to keep quiet about God: Restrain [kala] to stop the flow (water flow of Gen 8:2); do we speak less about Christ nowadays? Cover [kaca] to conceal (tabernacle coverings); out of embarrassment do we miss opportunities to explain the gospel? Hide [kachad] to hide away (Achan buried treasure); do we bury the gospel treasure?

Revere the Christ as Lord in your hearts.​

Attachments

• January 9th THE PSALMS.pdf
    222.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Neil

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I went and read Psalms 39 to 43 in the NASB It was really comforting. David was confident in asking God for help and that he would recieve it. David only had God almighty to pray too. How much more we are blessed to have both God almighty and Jesus to pray too now.

Reactions: Neil

Neil

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Canada
In regards to the 3rd part about being reluctant to share, I get it.
I actually found though, at work, that opening up about your faith in a non pushy, casual way, can make for interesting conversations.

I have found that it can bond people, as recently happened with a co worker and myself.
He was raised SDA, and I would have never known, he's far from it now! But he has a spiritual side, and we have had a couple great chats.

Reactions: Shelley