Devotional 1.7 | Space for Grace | Psalm 31 | Into Your hands

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 7th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 31

Psalm 30-34​

Into Thy hand I commit my spirit, thou hast redeemed me, Jehovah God of truth.

Psalm 31:5, Young’s Literal Translation

Theme: Into Your hands.

Background: David’s problems, prayers and praises.

January 7th THE PSALMS image.jpg

31:5 “Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.”​

David prayed that he might be rescued or redeemed from death, but Christ quoted just the first part of the verse on the cross to express complete dependence on God who would save his spirit through death (Luke 23:46). These words were “the prayer every Jewish mother taught her child to say last thing at night. Jesus made it all the more lovely for he began it with the word Father. Even on the cross Jesus died like a child falling asleep in his father’s arms.” Like Jesus and Stephen (Acts 7:59), we too place our full confidence in our redeemer and resurrector, Jesus Christ.

31:19 “Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear​

you.”

Good parents daily care for their children, sometimes surprising them with gifts or outings. At the same time, they may put money aside for them in a trust fund. Likewise, every day our Father blesses us with His grace in innumerable ways, but we can say with positivity that the best is yet to come from God’s treasury! He has got many good surprises in store for you (Ps 84:11).

31:24 “Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord.”​

We usually link courage with action but sometimes are faced with "divine delays" – times when it seems that His purposes for our lives are temporarily shelved. Don't panic - God's delays are not His denials. Our Master has a purpose in everything He does.

God’s delays are not His denials.​

Reactions: Neil and Shelley