Devotional 1.6 | Space for Grace | Psalm 27 | Confidence in God’s Presence

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 6th
THE PSALMS​

Psalm 24-29​

Psalm 27

One thing I have asked from Yahweh; it I will seek: that I may dwell in the house of Yahweh all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of Yahweh,

and to consider his temple.

Psalm 27:4, Lexham English Bible

Theme: Confidence in God’s Presence.

Background: David sets aside his fears.

January 6th THE PSALMS image.jpg

27:4 “One thing I have asked from the Lord … that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all​

the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord” One pastor once was asked what was the secret of his powerful ministry? He replied, "If there is any power in my ministry, it has come out of walking with God through the valley of loneliness." David’s “one thing” above all other things, was to enjoy God’s presence (Ps 17:15; 73:25). It is easy to replace this desire to enjoy God Himself with the desire of the ‘desiring of God’ – being satisfied with a ‘holy feeling’ sometimes associated with a building, a service, music, a sermon, a prayer, or satisfaction in doing the ‘Lord’s work’. Above all things we seek “the Lord’s face”! (27:8).

27:10 “My father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me up.”​

The pain of a broken home or the psychological damage caused by being shunned can linger long into adult life. Counseling may help, but God can truly fill that void, and heal that hurt. The one who experienced abandonment from family and friends said, “But I am not alone because the Father is with me.” (John 9:35; 16:32; Ps 142:4-5)

27:14 “Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord.” What helped people survive death camps in Nazi Germany? The major factor was “a sense of future vision”. Keep your vision of Yahweh and His promises ever in focus.

What is your “One Thing”?​

Reactions: Neil and Shelley

Neil

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Canada
Excellent posts guys.

My one thing right now which I am finally learning , is that through prayer and Holy Spirit, I am never alone. Sometimes it's hard to pray, but I get down on my knees in those weak moments and force myself.
Once started, I realize why I started... there's the comfort.