Devotional 1.5 | Space for Grace | Psalm 23

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 5th
THE PSALMS​

Psalm 19-23​

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd [to feed, guide and shield me]; I shall not lack.

Psalm 23:1, Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

Theme: From PASTURE through the PIT into the PALACE!

Background: David celebrates the security afforded by God’s protection.

January 5th THE PSALMS image.jpg

23:1 “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.”​

The Lord is not “a” shepherd, but “my” lowly shepherd. The Hebrew word for shepherd also carries the meaning of being a ‘friend’. Be assured that He knows you by name and is aware of your unique situation.

23:2 “He makes me lie down in green pastures; He​

leads me beside still waters.”

Sheep only lie down if they feel free of danger, pests, and hunger. Our God loves us dearly and watches out for these three problems in our individual spiritual lives.

Like the apostle John, we can lay back on Jesus, finding pasture-rest on him (Matt 11:28-30).

23:4 “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”​

We do not sit in this “death shadow” valley wallowing in self-pity, but walk through the worst experiences supported by our attentive Lord (Isa 40:11; Jer 31:25). We are in transit through the gloom on the way to greener pastures! His rod counts us in and protects us, and his staff moves us gently on and serves to rescue us (Lev 27:32).

23:6 “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.”​

Like two sheepdogs chasing at our heels, “goodness” and “grace” pursue us with blessings. We are in God’s presence constantly in our journey.

Meditate on how Psalms 22 to 24 apply to Christ himself.​