Devotional 1.30 | Space for Grace | Psalm 139 | The Wonder of God’s Presence and Power

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 30th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 139-144​

Psalm 139

I look behind me and you’re there, then up ahead and you’re there too - your reassuring presence, coming and going. This is too much, too wonderful - I can’t take it all in!

Psalm 139:5-6, The Message

Theme: The Wonder of God’s Presence and Power.

Background: God knows everything about David.

January 30th THE PSALMS image.jpg

139:1 “O LORD, you have searched me and known me!”​

God has searched (cha.qar), ‘mined, dug’ into you and his knowledge of you is unlimited. Like an opaque bee-hive he sees what makes you tick, yet he still loves you unconditionally! (Job 28:3; Ps 130:3-4)

139:3“You search out my path… “​

Although “search” is used in many translations, it is a different Hebrew word (zarah) to that used

in verse 1. Here it literally means to “sift” like a farmer winnows out the chaff to leave behind the grain. God sieves out all the lumpy parts of our personality and focuses positively on the cherished fine flour of our hearts and minds.

139:5 “You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me”​

A prisoner is surrounded by guards and held firmly in an iron grip. We are voluntary prisoners

of God’s love, caught in his arms. He tenderly holds us, refusing to let go.

139:7“Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?”​

We cannot hide from God, as attempted by Adam and Jonah (Jer 23:24; Heb 4:13). When we feel guilty, we may want to slink away from his presence by infrequent prayer but we really need to remain in his presence. We were designed to be close to God.

He can’t stop thinking about you! (Psalm 139:17, NLT)​

Attachments

• January 30th THE PSALMS.pdf
    224.3 KB · Views: 0