Devotional 1.28 | Space for Grace | Psalm 119 | The excelling value of God’s Word

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 28th
THE PSALMS

Ps 119:97- Ps 121​

Psalm 119 (b)

Your word is like a lamp for my feet

and a light for my path [ it shows how life should be lived].

Psalm 119:105, The Expanded Bible

Theme: The excelling value of God’s Word (b).

Background: Meditations on the Excellencies of the Word.

January 28th  THE PSALMS image.jpg

119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my foot, And a light for my path.”​

Driving down a well-lit street we can see well ahead but we also have our dipped headlights on so that our immediate position and direction is clear. The Psalmist had the light of the Law as guidance, and we now have the greater light of Christ revealed in Scripture (John 8:12).

119:111 “I take your reminders as my permanent possession, for they are the joy of my heart.”​

Just as Israel fought a hard six-year war to take possession of Canaan so it is a hard fight to conquer any lazy mental inclinations to take possession of Bible truth. Is it time to review your campaign strategy of study time, prayer, and meditation?

119:136 “Tears stream down from my eyes, because people do not keep your law.”​

A deep awe of God and his Word produces anguish for those who are still alienated from him. Remember the tears of Jeremiah, Ezra, Paul, and Jesus for their people.

119:162 “I rejoice over your saying, like someone who finds great spoil.”​

A soldier prepares and fights hard to win the battle and gain spoil. In this way we should approach Bible study – in a fighting mood! We should grapple with a text until we wrestle an understanding from it. What strategy works best for you: O.I.A. or W.O.R.D?

The objective of our meditation is God-glorifying application.​

Attachments

• January 28th THE PSALMS.pdf
    230.2 KB · Views: 0