Devotional 1.27 | Space for Grace | Psalm 119 | The excelling value of God’s Word

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 27th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 119:1-96​

Psalm 119 (a)

Although I have become like a shriveled and dried out wineskin, I have not forgotten your laws.

Psalm 119:83, God’s Word Translation

Theme: The excelling value of God’s Word (a)

Background: An acrostic Psalm of 22 sections each beginning with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Eight words for God’s Law occur: commandments law, words, testimonies, promises, precepts, statutes, and judgments.

January 27th THE PSALMS image.jpg

119:54 ”Your regulations are songs to me”​

Imagine setting the `Highway Code` to music and singing the bylaws as you motor along!

God’s Word is music to our ears, as we commit the lyrics to memory.

119:59 ”I have examined my ways, in order to turn my feet back to your reminders.”​

The word “examined” in Hebrew refers to scrutinising something, e.g. embroidery or accountancy. The Septuagint says “For I considered according to your ways.” When we closely compare the difference between His ways and ours, a change of thinking (repentance) is called for. This does not mean to feel racked with obsessive guilt - because our sins are forgiven - but to learn lessons from past mistakes. May Thy ways become my ways.

119:83 ”For I am like a skin bottle dried up in the smoke”​

How Yahweh loves us dearly when we feel useless, shrivelled up, unattractive, and our name and life blackened with dark stains, and yet we still don’t forget Him, we hang in there! (Ps 56:8)

Scripture is like a working museum; the Spirit is Curator and Guide.​

Attachments

• January 27th THE PSALMS.pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Shelley