Devotional 1.26 | Space for Grace | Psalm 118 | Praise to God for His Everlasting Mercy

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 26th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 114-118​

Psalm 118

The stone the masons discarded as flawed is now the capstone! This is God’s work. We rub our eyes - we can hardly believe it! This is the very day God acted - let’s celebrate and be festive!

Psalm 118:22-24, The Message

Theme: Praise to God for His Everlasting Mercy.

Background: The climax of the Hillel Psalms. This Psalm, along with Psalm 110, is intensely Messianic and thus one of the most quoted in the NT.

January 26th THE PSALMS imag.jpg

118:6 “The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”​

This could be translated as, “Jehovah belongs to me, and is mine.” We see this confidence radiating from Christ, and in those belonging to him (John 17:20-26).

118:19 “Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the LORD.”

The temple curtain tore from top to bottom when Jesus died, opening the way to the throne of God. The gate is open, will you enter into His righteousness?

118:22 “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.”

Today a cornerstone is placed at the foundation of a building, in ancient Israel a capstone was placed at the very top. Christ is underneath all, upholding us as living stones, and above all, crowning us as our glorious Head. He also stands at the corner bringing both Jew and Gentile together in him (Acts 4:11; 1 Pet 2:6-8).

118:24 “This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”​

This is not just a generalisation to “seize the day” because of God’s blessings, but relates to the context of Jesus, by his death and resurrection, becoming the chief cornerstone. What a day! Celebrate and rejoice - his death opened a new and living way! (Heb 10:20).

Salvation: it's impossible! But in Christ ... Him-possible!​

Attachments

• January 26th THE PSALMS.pdf
    228.1 KB · Views: 0