Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 17th
THE PSALMS
Psalm 77-78

Psalm 77

Your way ran through the sea,
Your path cut through great waters, and still no one can spot Your footprints.
Psalm 77:19, The Voice

Theme: Remembering.
Background: Asaph’s depression and deliverance.

77:2-3 “In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord … my soul refuses to be comforted. When I remember God, I moan; when I meditate, my spirit faints.”
Depressed? Just pray more and do more! Maybe you have received – or have given – that advice, perhaps coating these recommendations with compassion. Asaph here turned to the Lord, praying aloud and meditating, yet initially did not find comfort. Perhaps he was aware of his own sins before this God who knew him. He found it agonising to reflect on happier times when God had helped him, so why had He deserted him now? He was filled with doubt.

77:7-9 “Has God forgotten to be gracious?”
Suffering Asaph was not afraid to raise a series of five personal questions aloud before the Lord. Like the sleepless King Ahasuerus, he felt prompted by God to remember God’s dealings of past specific event. At the Red Sea, Yahweh had miraculously delivered Israel from a near death situation. He looked back at the exodus; we can look back at Calvary. It is noteworthy that from verses 13-20, the “I” is gone – his focus changed from thinking of himself to worshiping God: “You are the God who works wonders.”

77:19 “Your way was through the sea, your path through the great waters; yet your footprints were unseen.”
Do I fully discern Yahweh’s footprints as He tiptoes quietly through my day? If we cannot trace Him, we must simply trust Him (Rom 11:33-36).

January 17th THE PSALMS image.jpg

Attachments

• January 17th THE PSALMS.pdf
    225.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Shelley

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Good to have someone like an almighty powerful God who is above all others that we can trust.

Reactions: Lori Jane