Devotional 1.16 | Space for Grace | Psalm 73 | Pondering Prosperity

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

January 16th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 72-76

Psalm 73

But as for me, drawing near to God is good for me.

Psalm 73:28, Recovery Version

Theme: Pondering Prosperity.

Background: Asaph’s self-pity as he saw the prosperity of the wicked.

73:3-4 “For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For they have no pangs until death; their bodies are fat and sleek.”

Asaph seemed to temporarily forget the lesson in the book of Job that Satan promoted a “commercial” view of faith – namely “you should get blessings as part of the bargain in worshipping God.” (Job 1:9) Although the ungodly may display health and wealth, their characters display an arrogance (vs 6- 12). Today many have fallen for the egocentric “prosperity gospel” - which is a false gospel.

73:25 “Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on the earth that I desire

besides you.”

Eventually Asaph came to the conclusion that the prosperity of those distanced from God is short and uncertain, in slippery places, especially in view of a coming day of judgment (vs 18- 23). Suddenly, the world and all it has to offer was not important to him anymore. He realized that wealth and popularity are not the true treasure. The Lord and His presence were the unfading treasure (Php 3:8).

73:28 “But as for me, how good it is to be near God!”

It’s the ‘drawing near’ (qirvah), the gradually getting to know God more fully, that is good for us. By pondering, praying, and praising, we can enjoy an increasing intimacy with Him.

The cure for envy and jealousy is to find our contentment in God.