Devotional 1.15 | Space for Grace | Psalm 69 | Messianic Mistreatment

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020

January 15th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 69-71

Psalm 69

I looked in vain for one friendly face. Not one. I couldn’t find one shoulder to cry on.

Psalm 69:20, The Message

Theme: Messianic Mistreatment.

Background: Psalm 22 describes Jesus’ physical sufferings too.

January 15th THE PSALMS image.jpg

69:4 “They hate me without cause … What I did not steal must I now restore?”

Jesus Christ did not “rob” God in that he did not rob God of glory by sinning, but the sinless lamb of God was willing to pay for sin of others by laying down the value of his perfect life! (John 15:25) Am I willing to apologize - take the rap - even when innocent? Am I a peacemaker by self-sacrifice?

69:13 “But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.”

David was insulted, shunned, and made the object of citywide gossip. “Even my own brothers, those of my family act as though they don’t want anything to do with me.” (69:8, Passion) But still he prayed. Likewise, the greater David prayed in Gethsemane and on the cross – even for his enemies. If at any time we are called on to suffer reproach and shame for Christ's sake, our comfort is that he, the One who experienced the pit, is now our Priest participating in our feelings (Heb 4:14-16). Let us determine that no matter how bad things become we will continue to pray. When others reject us, we need God most. Do not turn from your most faithful friend who will come to the rescue at the “acceptable time”. Final judgment on persecutors is left in God’s hands.

Christ’s followers cannot expect better treatment than their Master had.

Attachments

• January 15th THE PSALMS.pdf
    254.7 KB · Views: 0

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
We will face difficulties in our relationships and perhaps have people who turn on us as they did Jesus. But we always have him as well as our Christian brothers and sisters who will not betray us. Even if everyone we know goes against us having one Jesus out weighs having a multitude of people!