Devotional 1.11 | Space for Grace | Psalm 51 | Repentance and Restoration

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
January 11th
THE PSALMS

Psalm 49-53​

Psalm 51

Create for me a pure heart, O God! Renew a resolute spirit within me!

Psalm 51:10, The NET Bible

Theme: Repentance and Restoration.

Background: The aftermath of David’s sins of adultery and murder.

January 11th  THE PSALMS image.jpg

51:6 “Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart”​

David after months of covering his sins finally unburdened his conscience in utter transparency (Ps 32:1-5). What humility for a king to admit his heinous sins. Other rulers of the past and present would have undoubtedly avoided exposure at all costs to maintain their public persona.

51:7 “Purge me with hyssop; and I will be clean…” There was no atonement in the Law to cover David’s sins (Lev 20:10; Num 35:31-32), he could only appeal to God’s mercy to gain a sense of relief by forgiveness. He used a variety of Hebrew words to plead for mercy:

“blot out” - erase his debt of sin (vs 1); “wash me” - beat out of me the stains (vs 2); “purge me” - remove all traces of sin in every form (vs 7). This brought God’s forgiveness and healing of the spirit (vs 10-12) and emotions (vs 8,12,14,15) and body (vs 8).

51:10 “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”​

Only God can create (‘bara” as in Genesis 1) a new heart (inner spirit). No matter how much will-power and effort I use to get rid of an ongoing sin, I will inevitably fall on my face yet again unless God’s Spirit creates the “new man”. “Create” is not mere correction, amendment, or repair! (Jer 24:7; Ezek 36:25-27) God could not receive broken animals at the temple but is so happy to welcome broken sinners! (vs 17)

Psalm 51: Cleanse me (vs 2-7); Restore me (vs 8-12); Use me (vs 13-19).​