General Trinitarian scholar defines "worship"

stignatius

Buddy
Oct 15, 2020
The only issue I can gather from this reference, without having read Dunn, is that Philo did not imagine Wisdom as a created being, but as a quasi-created being which proceeded from God's essence. Second, the Metatron was thought of as a being that was a distinct spiritual being and did not share in God's essence. Third, Philo taught that Adam was made in the image of Wisdom, not that both Wisdom and Adam were examples of a divine principle of order. I would have to read Dunn's argument. But, I kind of doubt you make the claim that Judaism believed that the worship of creatures was acceptable as a general principle. (Philo, On The Creation 139)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: benadam1974

benadam1974

Nov 15, 2020
The only issue I can gather from this reference, without having read Dunn, is that Philo did not imagine Wisdom as a created being, but as a quasi-created being which proceeded from God's essence. Second, the Metatron was thought of as a being that was a distinct spiritual being and did not share in God's essence. Third, Philo taught that Adam was made in the image of Wisdom, not that both Wisdom and Adam were example of a divine principle of order. I would have to read Dunn's argument. But, I kind of doubt you make the claim that Judaism believed that the worship of creatures was acceptable as a general principle.
We see worship and even prayer to others apart from the one God of Israel, the Father, throughout the scriptures:
* to the redeemed Israel in Isa 45.14;
* to the king alongside Yahweh in 1Chron 29.20;
* to the Christians in Rev 3.9.

stignatius

Buddy
Oct 15, 2020
The references you provided mention things that scripture says would or did occur. "They shall bow down to you" "They prostrated themselves before Yahweh and the King." "I will make them come and kneel down before your feet..."

I fail to see in any of that a prescription directed at Christians to worship creatures.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: benadam1974

benadam1974

Nov 15, 2020
The references you provided mention things that scripture says would occur. "They shall bow down to you" "They prostrated themselves before Yahweh and the King." "I will make them come and kneel down before your feet..."

I fail to see in any of that a prescription directed at Christians to worship creatures.
1Chro 29.20 is a reference to the people of God in the Old Testament worshiping God and the king.
That's history not future.
And it's commonplace to see people of God worshiping the king throughout the OT: 1K 1.23; 2Sam 18.28, etc.