Testimony The Story of an African Oddity: mine in 5 parts.

Taylor_607_Made

Jan 3, 2022
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

If ok with the forum and site, I would like to present my story in different parts, or stages - five should just about cover it - partly bcos its a long one and partly bcos it has to be done in between other demands on my time. But there is a third reason: I have noticed in my research travels, that there is not much put forward from my corner of the world with its unique African history, racial and political, that can assist others to find a foothold and/or the leverage to, well,...to leave.

I'm hoping that my sharing can pry open a few psyches, and let some light in, not the 'new' kind that cant make up its mind which time of day it is, but the kind that is true and consistent and hopefully warmer than what we are accustomed to from our friends in Wallkill.

I suggest a prologue, a body and an epilogue. I hope it makes interesting reading. There is the usual: growing up, school, prison, marriage, going cold, getting warm, one or two judicial cases, returning, leaving (again), lies, more lies, the girl of my dreams, the GB member of my dreams...all this and more...salted and peppered with some humour and a medium-sized dollop of sarcasm, the lowest form of wit of course, yet notwithstanding, a form which at times has no parallel, as a form of expression.

I welcome feedback and barring Lori Jane telling me otherwise, I shall begin ti fill this space in a few days.

TaylorM.

• Love
Reactions: Diana S

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
If ok with the forum and site, I would like to present my story in different parts, or stages
Sure! In any friendship you don't learn all about the person in one sitting - well usually <g>
There is the usual: growing up, school, prison, marriage, going cold, getting warm, one or two judicial cases, returning, leaving (again), lies, more lies, the girl of my dreams, the GB member of my dreams...all this and more...salted and peppered with some humour and a medium-sized dollop of sarcasm, the lowest form of wit of course, yet notwithstanding, a form which at times has no parallel, as a form of expression.
I can't wait! But I don't think "prison" fits "the usual". lol

• Haha
Reactions: Diana S

Taylor_607_Made

Jan 3, 2022
Prelude

I remember reading 2Cor 3:17 once and smiling. I had it. I was free. I remember a deep joy. I remember contentment. "Where the spirit of God is, there is freedom." I was 19.
I valued freedom above most things then. I still do, nearly 4 decades later. What I did not realize at the time, was the price I would have to pay to be able to live... truly live... in freedom. I did not realize the circle I would have to close in my life, and the tears that were still to be shed to get there. To be fair, who does? We are all thrown out there at the beginning, with nothing but a birthday suit and if we are lucky, with parents who love us.
I say 'there' as if I have arrived. But I haven't. I now know that freedom is not like that. And what's more: Christian freedom is a whole other ball game. I share my story with you as a PIMO JW. It's a story that wants out. Its been brewing for 10 years, percolating like fine coffee on a stove. Will it be likewise 'fine'? I will try as hard as I can to be real and factual and honest. But I also have to say that it wont be easy to keep it simple. I'm itching to embellish the truth, just like JW's are trained to do. I'm going to resist doing that, of course, and let the reader be the judge. But know that I will fail here and there and I ask for your indulgence of this terrible habit I have picked up after 40 yrs of weekly 'taking in of (not so) accurate knowledge' and then spinning it nicely for the honest-hearted on the weekends.
I'm going to trust that you, that someone, understands. After all, Isn't trust all that we really have?

I remember that when birthday cake appeared in my classroom, so did fear. I was the odd boy out...again. You learn numbness to cope. But one of the first things that made no sense to me was that if Susan took her cake home, cut it into squares, gave it to Teresa in a different Tupperware, and then if Teresa offered me some the next day,... I was still going to paradise. I was innocent. Even if I knew it was the same birthday cake in disguise, technically the meaning no longer applied, and it was just cake on a different day.
I had found a loophole.
All through my life, I have been able to see the JW loopholes, the elephant/s in the room, the illogic behind some of the beliefs. While nodding my head in agreement to the words on the pages of the publications, the inner me would be simultaneously seeing the cover up, the con, or at least notice a feeling of confusion within me, at reading what I was reading.
I can honestly say that my story is simply about these moments of realization reaching a tipping point, and then spilling me over into what I knew to be true all along. But it has taken a long time to get clarity.
Hindsight is beautiful thing. I'm looking back at the journey I have taken and for the first time I am starting to see the individual who was hidden in the herd for so long. I'm starting to see how my failures led me to realization, and how realization has many layers, how it's context-based and how the road is never-ending. In other words, I'm seeing my uniqueness as someone who matters.
JW's attract you with promises that appeal to you the individual. But as the years pass, the individual is lost to the group. You matter, if we say so. You are valued, when seen to be doing what everyone else is doing. Thanks for your contribution, but can we set the bar higher for you? There is rhetoric about 'only doing what you can, what you are able to do. Jehovah understands your circumstances'. Yet somehow good old borg manages to compare you to others, or to some fictitious standard that gets further away from you every time you take a step toward it. You are never enough. Its never really good enough to be...just you. You morph into a collective, and stay there, with the help of tablets, alcohol, or money even. Let's not get into the addiction of power. I will come to that.
I realized that my unique talents, my hobbies, my personality, had slowly been eroded into mediocrity where nothing really stood out for me as recognizable for who I knew I was. Does that make sense? I realized that at some point I gave myself over to that. I ceded myself, my power, over to a wish not mine. Yet I was made to think it was.

This is getting way deep. 'There is no way around, but through......'

Jw's want to keep you so busy that you have no time to think. You're on a hamster wheel, peddling/pedaling away with a kingdom smile, and loving every minute of it. Every millisecond, in fact, of the last second, of the final minute of the end of the final minute of the final hour of the last.....
And JW's want you to stay in a 2-3 year mental framework. Please do. It makes everyone united, and we don't want to upset the unity. Heaven forbid. They need you there because that's the sweet spot. That's where just enough of a sense of urgency meets the right amount of common sense. By this I mean: you can plan your life, but not too far ahead. So don't bother with long term meaningful goals that require commitment. But be responsible. So... sure, take that job offer and enjoy it, including the company car, but when the promotions come, well, you know what to do. Its a waste of time. Time to reign yourself in. Operating within a 2-3 year mental framework is where you find an unlived life. Its where you find mediocrity. 'Almost but not quite' hangs out there. In fact, he/she thrives. Everything is 'just around the corner'. And so is control of your thinking ability.
Somewhere in a 2-3 year space in my past, I lost control of my mind. I lost my freedom, my joy, my love for my Creator. He was really hard to see under all the books and new light and direction and schedules and arrangements and pinkie rings. Do you blame me?
So how did it happen? Where do I begin?
The reader deserves to know that I'm writing this as someone who is considering giving it all up. That is, there is no God, its all hocus pocus and all we have, is what we can see and the consequences of our choices in life. The reader also deserves to know that something happened to me that just wont leave me, if you get my meaning. There was a moment in my past of profound connection to something bigger than me that is keeping my hope alive - my hope that it's all real and worthy and there is a Father who has a Son and there is truly an amazing future in store for lovers of truth, that the planet will survive, that there will be an end to suffering and death and sickness.
I spoke of moments of realization, so I wont bore you with the unnecessary. It may be best to mention some moments first that in reality occurred after others. Some of these moments were years apart, held together by a young man's sense of loyalty to friends and family and a beliefs that kept my daily world together. However, I will speak only of those moments, and remember them to the best of my ability. I see them as stepping stones to where I am now. And I'm hoping that by stepping along with me, readers can identify their own steps along their own unique journey and try and reclaim a sense of self and freedom that is rightly theirs.
So here goes.....

• Love
Reactions: Diana S and Shelley

Taylor_607_Made

Jan 3, 2022
Part One

They call it the Rainbow Nation. We have Nelson Mandela to thank for that. Eleven (11) official languages and eight (8) provincial areas make up South Africa. I grew up in the mid 70's under a white supremacist government in the apartheid era of South Africa. My parents were blue collar workers who lived in a small town where most of the major industries were nationalized. Forms of control by those in authority was an accepted norm, so much so that we didn’t even notice the effect on us. Being privileged whites, we had an air of entitlement about us, to say the least, and most of us took the 'whites only' signs everywhere as a regrettable, yet perfectly understandable considering the differences between the various cultures in our country. Nelson Mandela was freed by President DE Klerk from prison in 1990. The ANC was voted into power in democratic elections in 1994.
During the apartheid era, Military service was compulsory for all young men in SA leaving school after graduating. This maxed out at 2yrs in the 80's. There was a war on. SA was fighting communism and terrorism on all its borders. It wasn't pretty. Most of us were oblivious to the 'struggle', partly due to the National Party state run media censoring the news.
JW's were sent to military detention for their neutral stand. The length of time of imprisonment kept increasing through the seventies from 6 months, then to nine, then to a year, then fifteen months and so when I was conscripted it had stretched to 3 years. I was 17. A tantalizing carrot of compromise was put forward by the government for JW's to serve also in a non-combatant role e.g. in a kitchen or in clerical work. But we all knew this was 'Satan's handiwork' and only 'weak witnesses' took the bait. A real JW chooses prison. And smiles about it.
I felt privileged to 'make Jehovah's heart glad', to 'take a stand for the Kingdom'. After all, Jesus suffered, so why shouldn't we. And there were lots of us. At one time during my incarceration, there were 450 boys in blue, or Blue-Boys, as we were called, because we wore blue boiler suits or 'overalls' as they are called in SA. Apparently odd (3,5,7 etc.) years in serving time are psychologically difficult to deal with. Apparently, the human brain likes to stack things in pairs and plan in twos, so odd numbers have a way of depressing an inmate. I'm not sure how true this is but I did find this to be the case. It never really felt like there was a halfway point. Time stood still for two and a half years, and only then did I begin to see light at the end of the tunnel.
The Beth Shan congregation was the official name for our cong. in prison, I presume given to us by Bethel, so we could still be part of the organization despite the obvious problem of being in prison. Under-aged 'acting' elders were appointed, and various other overseers of departments. For example, bungalow/cell overseers, work (physical) group overseers, kitchen overseers and various others depending on what was going on. As all JW's know, where there's a department, there's at least one overseer and many more to replace him should he be unfit.
The barracks were built on condemned land because there were sink holes in the area. We lived with the uncertainty of the ground beneath us giving way at any time. When i was there, there were so many of us we spilled into army tents because there were insufficient beds i the bungalows and cells. In the notorious Block 4 building, large cracks appeared in the walls and on the concrete floor. The army was therefore under pressure to move us elsewhere, in fact to close the barracks down entirely, even for the military personnel in the adjacent military barracks. The name of the barracks was Voortrekker-Hoogte, or in English ' Pioneer Heights'. (The Voortrekkers were the first Dutch pioneers who trekked or made their way across SA from the Cape Province.) After about a year, we were transferred to another abandoned civilian prison about 60km away. It was largely derelict and so required us all to refurbish the cells with paint and some carpentry work to make it habitable.
This prison was the end of the line for JW conscription history. The government and Bethel had been in discussion for some time about civilian alternative service for JW's going forward, and detention barracks would be a thing of the past. In fact, we were under the impression that we would also be released from prison and serve the rest of our time back in our home towns. We even filled out the forms and chose our preferred work options: fire dept, municipal gardens, etc. from the lists provided, but nothing happened.
Apparently, there was a glitch. Bethel could not agree with the government’s terms. We waited for news. Some guys even left their suitcases unpacked in expectation of going home.
The problem? The government wanted to sentence new JW boys to 6yrs alternative service as a substitute for military service. Bethel could not accept that. It could not be an alternative form of service, 'substituting' for military service. This would mean compromise of one’s faith. (huh?? )
This semantic play on wording was causing the hold up to our release. It dragged on. And we gave up hope. Bethel reached a compromise with the government but sadly it would not affect those of us already sentenced. New JW conscripts would be sentenced to 6 yrs civilian prison. Then from prison, each person would be paroled out to civilian work. There had to be a clear guilty verdict heard in court, and a stand against the military taken... first...., before civilian work could be accepted as a further condition of sentence.
We were saddened by not going home early but, in some ways, relieved. By this time, most of us had 2 years or less to go. Imagine being sentenced to 6 yrs, possibly to menial or mind-numbing work?! So, we accepted the situation and settled back into the mundane, prison routine.
The prison experience had one, clear positive. We were not cohabiting with hardened criminals. We were all JW's. The army decided to keep us separate from the military prisoners in view of the danger we posed of converting their own, by typical JW peaching to whomever, wherever. However, we were in close proximity with the army prisoners and saw many tragic scenes. I saw 2 young men attempt suicide, one from drinking drain detergent. Another carved up his veins with razor blades but was fortunately apprehended in time. A Sargent major drilled a man to death on the parade ground. Rumour had it, that it was not the first time.
Amongst the JW's, it wasn't all plain sailing either. Put a bunch of young men together brimming with testosterone and there are bound to be issues. Added to that, was the fact that not all were bona fide Witnesses. Some were there for their parent’s religion; others were there for their own agendas. Still others defected from the army, posing as Witnesses. It was quite a melting pot. I kept to myself for the most part, choosing to mind my own business and get on with it.
The harsh army environment surrounding us was in stark contrast to us as a group of bible-touting young men, there for peaceable reasons. Yet many unfortunate situations arose that caused friction. Naturally/genetically effeminate boys gravitated together and these groups, in turn, were in sharp contrast to the majority of the guys who leant toward weight training, soccer or hard physical labor to fill their spare time. There was a lot of victimization, mainly verbal, of these ‘softer’ young men and many of them had a harder time than most. Then there was the racial issue. Afrikaner youngsters and English boys grew up in schools pertaining mainly to their languages and adopted many of the slang words to describe their language counterparts. Names describing other language groups, that were humorous when used at school amongst those of your own language, were not viewed as such when used faced to face with those they pertained to. Afrikaners viewed themselves as racially superior to the English speaking, as well as tougher physically. There were the occasional fights and jostling, but I can honestly say, for the most part, that it was miracle things were not any worse than they were. Christian principles and the solid spiritual, weekly routine managed to curtail most events from spiraling out of control. We were allowed our Bibles and study material, although there were periodic bans of literature. The meetings were held mostly discreetly, sometimes in secret, depending on the mood of the army sergeant and personnel.
There were some bizarre events: a brother decided he would decide the universal issue once and for all and so dressed in civilian clothing, took a chess board up to the main army offices, demanded to see the Commander and sat down to play. He said he was Jehovah and the Commander was Satan; it was time to decide the battle. Needless to say, he was ushered off to the military hospital for observation. Possibly that was the plan, I’m not sure.
The camp Sargent Major shot his dog because it had befriended us and spent more time on our side of the barracks than at home.
A brother woke in the morning, stuck his head out past the tent entrance only to be narrowly missed by a bullet.

In September 1986, in the study article “Christian neutrals in a blood-stained world”, the organization shared with the world the ‘new light’ that alternative service to military service, is a matter of individual conscience. All par.12 said was: “ Similarly, Christians today should not instruct others personally as to what stand they must take on issues related to Christian neutrality. Each one must make his own conscientious decisions in line with his understanding of Bible principles.—Galatians 6:4, 5.”
Just like that, the argument about alternative service was officially laid to rest.
Simply put, the hiccup I described above, where Bethel could not accept the governments terms, was needless. This was a defining moment for me. Why wasn’t the option put to us individually and respect shown to our individual consciences? How do such qualified, spiritual men get it wrong when they claim direction from Jesus? How come it took 70 yrs for Jesus to reveal this ‘light’, and countless young men the world over to languish in prison because of an erroneous interpretation of alternative service vs. Christian conscience? How come it was a compromise of faith bringing divine disapproval one month, yet freedom of conscience the next? And has the organization ever looked up all those men who went to prison for nothing, apologized to them and offered to make some amends?
The salt in my wounds was to be made worse when I left Detention Barracks after 3 years. Before leaving, we were reminded of the privilege to have been in prison. We were reminded that it is not something to brag about, or flaunt amongst the congregations on the outside, when we returned home. In fact, even mentioning it was discouraged, lest we attract attention to ourselves. We were to remember that it is appropriate to view ourselves as “good for nothing slaves” according to Luke 17:10 and “what we have done is what we ought to have done.”
The reality about the prison experience was that as a young man in your formative years, you were incarcerated and subjected to a psychologically molding experience. The reality was that we required de-briefing, as it were, or to be reintroduced into society in a supportive way, reintegrated so as to function effectively. All we received, was a gag order or sorts. As a result, there are many sad tales of young brothers who, as the years passed, became more and more reclusive from society. I know of 3 suicides personally, and many, many more men who, in one way or another, medicated themselves through alcohol, women and fickle pursuits. Many of those stories also ended in tragedy of various descriptions. I have had to face my own demons as well, and when I look back at my own failures in life, I trace a lot of them back to warped perceptions of life and myself that I adopted through that prison experience. As part of my waking up experience recently, I had to revisit my detention experience. I had suppressed many memories of it, and still do. Anger has followed and this is a weekly battle. Anger at wasted time and opportunities, and in my case, anger at the sacrifice of a sport I loved.
True, there are many success stories from an organizational perspective. Some of the ‘Blue-Boys’ have gone on to lead the organization and become prominent figures. I know of two who are branch committee members and others who now serve at HQ in Wallkill, New York State. Many are elders and have been for years. All, no doubt, still expect Armageddon to arrive ‘any day now’. However, I can confidently assume, that for every one who has ‘made it’ in this way, two have crumbled under the weight of the high expectations being a Blue-Boy instilled in them, and many others have just retreated into obscurity.
In my naivete, I tried to get some answers to my questions. From time to time, I posed the question to elders I trusted: “Why was there no program for the Blue-Boys to assist them back into society?” For the most part, my words were met with vacant stares, or the usual, “Don’t worry my brother, Jehovah will sort things out in his due time.”

Really? Will He? Has He, to date?

The Blue-Boys are largely forgotten now. When we meet at conventions, there are moments of camaraderie and feelings of solidarity and pride. This is true. But for the most part, everyone has moved on and become different human beings.
There was a mention of us in a yearbook paragraph somewhere but I remember it was so token, as to be insignificant. For this reason, I have begun writing a book about my experience under the genre ‘biographical novel.’ I want people to know. And I want the Blue-Boys to be remembered. And I want any Witness who reads it, to blush with shame, at not having bothered to find out more at that time of SA history. But its tough going. Its going to take a while to write, and I’m no author.
I have decided to let this part of my story stand alone. For anyone who has read it, thank you for making the time. I hope there is something in it that makes you appreciate your own path more fully, or stirs empathy for someone you care about.

End of part one.

Cicely Ryan

Bible Challenge
Dec 19, 2021
Prelude

I remember reading 2Cor 3:17 once and smiling. I had it. I was free. I remember a deep joy. I remember contentment. "Where the spirit of God is, there is freedom." I was 19.
I valued freedom above most things then. I still do, nearly 4 decades later. What I did not realize at the time, was the price I would have to pay to be able to live... truly live... in freedom. I did not realize the circle I would have to close in my life, and the tears that were still to be shed to get there. To be fair, who does? We are all thrown out there at the beginning, with nothing but a birthday suit and if we are lucky, with parents who love us.
I say 'there' as if I have arrived. But I haven't. I now know that freedom is not like that. And what's more: Christian freedom is a whole other ball game. I share my story with you as a PIMO JW. It's a story that wants out. Its been brewing for 10 years, percolating like fine coffee on a stove. Will it be likewise 'fine'? I will try as hard as I can to be real and factual and honest. But I also have to say that it wont be easy to keep it simple. I'm itching to embellish the truth, just like JW's are trained to do. I'm going to resist doing that, of course, and let the reader be the judge. But know that I will fail here and there and I ask for your indulgence of this terrible habit I have picked up after 40 yrs of weekly 'taking in of (not so) accurate knowledge' and then spinning it nicely for the honest-hearted on the weekends.
I'm going to trust that you, that someone, understands. After all, Isn't trust all that we really have?

I remember that when birthday cake appeared in my classroom, so did fear. I was the odd boy out...again. You learn numbness to cope. But one of the first things that made no sense to me was that if Susan took her cake home, cut it into squares, gave it to Teresa in a different Tupperware, and then if Teresa offered me some the next day,... I was still going to paradise. I was innocent. Even if I knew it was the same birthday cake in disguise, technically the meaning no longer applied, and it was just cake on a different day.
I had found a loophole.
All through my life, I have been able to see the JW loopholes, the elephant/s in the room, the illogic behind some of the beliefs. While nodding my head in agreement to the words on the pages of the publications, the inner me would be simultaneously seeing the cover up, the con, or at least notice a feeling of confusion within me, at reading what I was reading.
I can honestly say that my story is simply about these moments of realization reaching a tipping point, and then spilling me over into what I knew to be true all along. But it has taken a long time to get clarity.
Hindsight is beautiful thing. I'm looking back at the journey I have taken and for the first time I am starting to see the individual who was hidden in the herd for so long. I'm starting to see how my failures led me to realization, and how realization has many layers, how it's context-based and how the road is never-ending. In other words, I'm seeing my uniqueness as someone who matters.
JW's attract you with promises that appeal to you the individual. But as the years pass, the individual is lost to the group. You matter, if we say so. You are valued, when seen to be doing what everyone else is doing. Thanks for your contribution, but can we set the bar higher for you? There is rhetoric about 'only doing what you can, what you are able to do. Jehovah understands your circumstances'. Yet somehow good old borg manages to compare you to others, or to some fictitious standard that gets further away from you every time you take a step toward it. You are never enough. Its never really good enough to be...just you. You morph into a collective, and stay there, with the help of tablets, alcohol, or money even. Let's not get into the addiction of power. I will come to that.
I realized that my unique talents, my hobbies, my personality, had slowly been eroded into mediocrity where nothing really stood out for me as recognizable for who I knew I was. Does that make sense? I realized that at some point I gave myself over to that. I ceded myself, my power, over to a wish not mine. Yet I was made to think it was.

This is getting way deep. 'There is no way around, but through......'

Jw's want to keep you so busy that you have no time to think. You're on a hamster wheel, peddling/pedaling away with a kingdom smile, and loving every minute of it. Every millisecond, in fact, of the last second, of the final minute of the end of the final minute of the final hour of the last.....
And JW's want you to stay in a 2-3 year mental framework. Please do. It makes everyone united, and we don't want to upset the unity. Heaven forbid. They need you there because that's the sweet spot. That's where just enough of a sense of urgency meets the right amount of common sense. By this I mean: you can plan your life, but not too far ahead. So don't bother with long term meaningful goals that require commitment. But be responsible. So... sure, take that job offer and enjoy it, including the company car, but when the promotions come, well, you know what to do. Its a waste of time. Time to reign yourself in. Operating within a 2-3 year mental framework is where you find an unlived life. Its where you find mediocrity. 'Almost but not quite' hangs out there. In fact, he/she thrives. Everything is 'just around the corner'. And so is control of your thinking ability.
Somewhere in a 2-3 year space in my past, I lost control of my mind. I lost my freedom, my joy, my love for my Creator. He was really hard to see under all the books and new light and direction and schedules and arrangements and pinkie rings. Do you blame me?
So how did it happen? Where do I begin?
The reader deserves to know that I'm writing this as someone who is considering giving it all up. That is, there is no God, its all hocus pocus and all we have, is what we can see and the consequences of our choices in life. The reader also deserves to know that something happened to me that just wont leave me, if you get my meaning. There was a moment in my past of profound connection to something bigger than me that is keeping my hope alive - my hope that it's all real and worthy and there is a Father who has a Son and there is truly an amazing future in store for lovers of truth, that the planet will survive, that there will be an end to suffering and death and sickness.
I spoke of moments of realization, so I wont bore you with the unnecessary. It may be best to mention some moments first that in reality occurred after others. Some of these moments were years apart, held together by a young man's sense of loyalty to friends and family and a beliefs that kept my daily world together. However, I will speak only of those moments, and remember them to the best of my ability. I see them as stepping stones to where I am now. And I'm hoping that by stepping along with me, readers can identify their own steps along their own unique journey and try and reclaim a sense of self and freedom that is rightly theirs.
So here goes.....
Part One

They call it the Rainbow Nation. We have Nelson Mandela to thank for that. Eleven (11) official languages and eight (8) provincial areas make up South Africa. I grew up in the mid 70's under a white supremacist government in the apartheid era of South Africa. My parents were blue collar workers who lived in a small town where most of the major industries were nationalized. Forms of control by those in authority was an accepted norm, so much so that we didn’t even notice the effect on us. Being privileged whites, we had an air of entitlement about us, to say the least, and most of us took the 'whites only' signs everywhere as a regrettable, yet perfectly understandable considering the differences between the various cultures in our country. Nelson Mandela was freed by President DE Klerk from prison in 1990. The ANC was voted into power in democratic elections in 1994.
During the apartheid era, Military service was compulsory for all young men in SA leaving school after graduating. This maxed out at 2yrs in the 80's. There was a war on. SA was fighting communism and terrorism on all its borders. It wasn't pretty. Most of us were oblivious to the 'struggle', partly due to the National Party state run media censoring the news.
JW's were sent to military detention for their neutral stand. The length of time of imprisonment kept increasing through the seventies from 6 months, then to nine, then to a year, then fifteen months and so when I was conscripted it had stretched to 3 years. I was 17. A tantalizing carrot of compromise was put forward by the government for JW's to serve also in a non-combatant role e.g. in a kitchen or in clerical work. But we all knew this was 'Satan's handiwork' and only 'weak witnesses' took the bait. A real JW chooses prison. And smiles about it.
I felt privileged to 'make Jehovah's heart glad', to 'take a stand for the Kingdom'. After all, Jesus suffered, so why shouldn't we. And there were lots of us. At one time during my incarceration, there were 450 boys in blue, or Blue-Boys, as we were called, because we wore blue boiler suits or 'overalls' as they are called in SA. Apparently odd (3,5,7 etc.) years in serving time are psychologically difficult to deal with. Apparently, the human brain likes to stack things in pairs and plan in twos, so odd numbers have a way of depressing an inmate. I'm not sure how true this is but I did find this to be the case. It never really felt like there was a halfway point. Time stood still for two and a half years, and only then did I begin to see light at the end of the tunnel.
The Beth Shan congregation was the official name for our cong. in prison, I presume given to us by Bethel, so we could still be part of the organization despite the obvious problem of being in prison. Under-aged 'acting' elders were appointed, and various other overseers of departments. For example, bungalow/cell overseers, work (physical) group overseers, kitchen overseers and various others depending on what was going on. As all JW's know, where there's a department, there's at least one overseer and many more to replace him should he be unfit.
The barracks were built on condemned land because there were sink holes in the area. We lived with the uncertainty of the ground beneath us giving way at any time. When i was there, there were so many of us we spilled into army tents because there were insufficient beds i the bungalows and cells. In the notorious Block 4 building, large cracks appeared in the walls and on the concrete floor. The army was therefore under pressure to move us elsewhere, in fact to close the barracks down entirely, even for the military personnel in the adjacent military barracks. The name of the barracks was Voortrekker-Hoogte, or in English ' Pioneer Heights'. (The Voortrekkers were the first Dutch pioneers who trekked or made their way across SA from the Cape Province.) After about a year, we were transferred to another abandoned civilian prison about 60km away. It was largely derelict and so required us all to refurbish the cells with paint and some carpentry work to make it habitable.
This prison was the end of the line for JW conscription history. The government and Bethel had been in discussion for some time about civilian alternative service for JW's going forward, and detention barracks would be a thing of the past. In fact, we were under the impression that we would also be released from prison and serve the rest of our time back in our home towns. We even filled out the forms and chose our preferred work options: fire dept, municipal gardens, etc. from the lists provided, but nothing happened.
Apparently, there was a glitch. Bethel could not agree with the government’s terms. We waited for news. Some guys even left their suitcases unpacked in expectation of going home.
The problem? The government wanted to sentence new JW boys to 6yrs alternative service as a substitute for military service. Bethel could not accept that. It could not be an alternative form of service, 'substituting' for military service. This would mean compromise of one’s faith. (huh?? )
This semantic play on wording was causing the hold up to our release. It dragged on. And we gave up hope. Bethel reached a compromise with the government but sadly it would not affect those of us already sentenced. New JW conscripts would be sentenced to 6 yrs civilian prison. Then from prison, each person would be paroled out to civilian work. There had to be a clear guilty verdict heard in court, and a stand against the military taken... first...., before civilian work could be accepted as a further condition of sentence.
We were saddened by not going home early but, in some ways, relieved. By this time, most of us had 2 years or less to go. Imagine being sentenced to 6 yrs, possibly to menial or mind-numbing work?! So, we accepted the situation and settled back into the mundane, prison routine.
The prison experience had one, clear positive. We were not cohabiting with hardened criminals. We were all JW's. The army decided to keep us separate from the military prisoners in view of the danger we posed of converting their own, by typical JW peaching to whomever, wherever. However, we were in close proximity with the army prisoners and saw many tragic scenes. I saw 2 young men attempt suicide, one from drinking drain detergent. Another carved up his veins with razor blades but was fortunately apprehended in time. A Sargent major drilled a man to death on the parade ground. Rumour had it, that it was not the first time.
Amongst the JW's, it wasn't all plain sailing either. Put a bunch of young men together brimming with testosterone and there are bound to be issues. Added to that, was the fact that not all were bona fide Witnesses. Some were there for their parent’s religion; others were there for their own agendas. Still others defected from the army, posing as Witnesses. It was quite a melting pot. I kept to myself for the most part, choosing to mind my own business and get on with it.
The harsh army environment surrounding us was in stark contrast to us as a group of bible-touting young men, there for peaceable reasons. Yet many unfortunate situations arose that caused friction. Naturally/genetically effeminate boys gravitated together and these groups, in turn, were in sharp contrast to the majority of the guys who leant toward weight training, soccer or hard physical labor to fill their spare time. There was a lot of victimization, mainly verbal, of these ‘softer’ young men and many of them had a harder time than most. Then there was the racial issue. Afrikaner youngsters and English boys grew up in schools pertaining mainly to their languages and adopted many of the slang words to describe their language counterparts. Names describing other language groups, that were humorous when used at school amongst those of your own language, were not viewed as such when used faced to face with those they pertained to. Afrikaners viewed themselves as racially superior to the English speaking, as well as tougher physically. There were the occasional fights and jostling, but I can honestly say, for the most part, that it was miracle things were not any worse than they were. Christian principles and the solid spiritual, weekly routine managed to curtail most events from spiraling out of control. We were allowed our Bibles and study material, although there were periodic bans of literature. The meetings were held mostly discreetly, sometimes in secret, depending on the mood of the army sergeant and personnel.
There were some bizarre events: a brother decided he would decide the universal issue once and for all and so dressed in civilian clothing, took a chess board up to the main army offices, demanded to see the Commander and sat down to play. He said he was Jehovah and the Commander was Satan; it was time to decide the battle. Needless to say, he was ushered off to the military hospital for observation. Possibly that was the plan, I’m not sure.
The camp Sargent Major shot his dog because it had befriended us and spent more time on our side of the barracks than at home.
A brother woke in the morning, stuck his head out past the tent entrance only to be narrowly missed by a bullet.

In September 1986, in the study article “Christian neutrals in a blood-stained world”, the organization shared with the world the ‘new light’ that alternative service to military service, is a matter of individual conscience. All par.12 said was: “ Similarly, Christians today should not instruct others personally as to what stand they must take on issues related to Christian neutrality. Each one must make his own conscientious decisions in line with his understanding of Bible principles.—Galatians 6:4, 5.”
Just like that, the argument about alternative service was officially laid to rest.
Simply put, the hiccup I described above, where Bethel could not accept the governments terms, was needless. This was a defining moment for me. Why wasn’t the option put to us individually and respect shown to our individual consciences? How do such qualified, spiritual men get it wrong when they claim direction from Jesus? How come it took 70 yrs for Jesus to reveal this ‘light’, and countless young men the world over to languish in prison because of an erroneous interpretation of alternative service vs. Christian conscience? How come it was a compromise of faith bringing divine disapproval one month, yet freedom of conscience the next? And has the organization ever looked up all those men who went to prison for nothing, apologized to them and offered to make some amends?
The salt in my wounds was to be made worse when I left Detention Barracks after 3 years. Before leaving, we were reminded of the privilege to have been in prison. We were reminded that it is not something to brag about, or flaunt amongst the congregations on the outside, when we returned home. In fact, even mentioning it was discouraged, lest we attract attention to ourselves. We were to remember that it is appropriate to view ourselves as “good for nothing slaves” according to Luke 17:10 and “what we have done is what we ought to have done.”
The reality about the prison experience was that as a young man in your formative years, you were incarcerated and subjected to a psychologically molding experience. The reality was that we required de-briefing, as it were, or to be reintroduced into society in a supportive way, reintegrated so as to function effectively. All we received, was a gag order or sorts. As a result, there are many sad tales of young brothers who, as the years passed, became more and more reclusive from society. I know of 3 suicides personally, and many, many more men who, in one way or another, medicated themselves through alcohol, women and fickle pursuits. Many of those stories also ended in tragedy of various descriptions. I have had to face my own demons as well, and when I look back at my own failures in life, I trace a lot of them back to warped perceptions of life and myself that I adopted through that prison experience. As part of my waking up experience recently, I had to revisit my detention experience. I had suppressed many memories of it, and still do. Anger has followed and this is a weekly battle. Anger at wasted time and opportunities, and in my case, anger at the sacrifice of a sport I loved.
True, there are many success stories from an organizational perspective. Some of the ‘Blue-Boys’ have gone on to lead the organization and become prominent figures. I know of two who are branch committee members and others who now serve at HQ in Wallkill, New York State. Many are elders and have been for years. All, no doubt, still expect Armageddon to arrive ‘any day now’. However, I can confidently assume, that for every one who has ‘made it’ in this way, two have crumbled under the weight of the high expectations being a Blue-Boy instilled in them, and many others have just retreated into obscurity.
In my naivete, I tried to get some answers to my questions. From time to time, I posed the question to elders I trusted: “Why was there no program for the Blue-Boys to assist them back into society?” For the most part, my words were met with vacant stares, or the usual, “Don’t worry my brother, Jehovah will sort things out in his due time.”

The Blue-Boys are largely forgotten now. When we meet at conventions, there are moments of camaraderie and feelings of solidarity and pride. This is true. But for the most part, everyone has moved on and become different human beings.
There was a mention of us in a yearbook paragraph somewhere but I remember it was so token, as to be insignificant. For this reason, I have begun writing a book about my experience under the genre ‘biographical novel.’ I want people to know. And I want the Blue-Boys to be remembered. And I want any Witness who reads it, to blush with shame, at not having bothered to find out more at that time of SA history. But its tough going. Its going to take a while to write, and I’m no author.
I have decided to let this part of my story stand alone. For anyone who has read it, thank you for making the time. I hope there is something in it that makes you appreciate your own path more fully, or stirs empathy for someone you care about.

End of part one.
I am hooked. Looking forward to reading all of your story. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

Taylor_607_Made

Jan 3, 2022
Part 2: Divorce and disfellowshipping.

When she threw the engagement ring at me, I should have known there was something wrong. When I looked at her and felt less than amorous, I should have realized. When close friends tried to help me to see the obvious, I should have listened.

But I didn’t. I was a spiritually strong young brother, aux pioneering from time to time, loaded with knowledge from the Aid book from over studying in detention barracks for three years. I was an ex Blue Boy. If I can get thru that, surely marriage will be a cinch? Barely 2 years after my prison experience, I stumbled into marriage and from then on, the only certainty, was that in a short while, we would be another statistic of a failed, young JW marriage.

I say ‘I should have’ known, realized, etc. but the truth is that I did know it was wrong to start with and doomed to fail. My gut told me. Similarly, friends around me who married young, were also divorcing. For a time it felt like every one of my peers in the Witness community was getting a divorce. We were like a generation all opting out of ‘what God has yoked together.’

We tried. We really did. It took about 4 years to fall apart and then another 2 years of ‘trying’ with the help of elders to make it work. But my ex-wife eventually met someone else, understandably, and one sunny Johannesburg morning, I found myself in the witness stand mouthing the words ‘irreconcilable differences’ to an aging man in a black cloak, who then, in a bizarre demonstration of humor asked me: “So, who’s getting the pets?”
"She is, naturally”, I said. “All I’m getting is cutlery”.

When the dust had settled, and after therapy, in the months and years afterward I tried to put the pieces together and make sense of what had happened to me. The big question hammered me at all times of night, and in the day when I wasn’t busy: “How did my marriage fail when I had ‘the truth’?”

And there were lots of others that niggled away at my brain incessantly:

“Wasn’t I spiritual enough?”.

“Was I reaping what I sowed?”

“Is there something wrong with me?”

“Why didn’t the elders stop me?”

“Will Jehovah ever forgive me?” (Apparently, to a JW, one never really knows.)

“Did I connive to ‘divorce the wife of my youth’?” (the big sin.)

I left the organization after my divorce. Not aggressively. I just went ‘cold’, receded into a kind of no mans land spiritually, and got on with life. Everyone felt sorry for me. And I milked that. My family rallied around me. A friend JW was also going through a similar experience to me. We compared notes. And did stuff together. We hiked in the mountains, got drunk together and debated philosophy. It was easy to miss meetings when you feel like a failure, and you feel that you are an example to the congregation, of what not to become. And its easy to fade away when people, who you thought cared, won’t come near you with a barge pole, even if you are the ‘innocent’ party judicially.

And I was, actually. Apparently, she did the wrong. But deep down, I knew that no one is guilty nor innocent. Its never black and white, as the JW’s want you to think. There are three sides to every story. My job was to find that missing third story. And I set about it passionately. Here is some of what I discovered....

After 5 years of marriage, and about 4 before the official divorce, we spent time apart, but not officially separated. During that time, on a night I would rather forget, I met someone. She was an old acquaintance. We hit it off and one thing led to another. We both knew it was fleeting and irresponsible and it ended as fast as it started. Actually, within the working week. My wife returned and now, as a JW ministerial servant, I faced a serious situation. Confession to my wife and the local body of elders. I knew it would break her heart, but I wasn’t sure about the heart of the body. How would they deal with me? There was no way of knowing. I had never been in a judicial case before. I knew that to continue as an MS was the thinking of a fool, obviously. That boat sailed on the night I met my ‘friend’. Confessing to my wife would be the really hard part. I went to the elders first.

‘Mike, I need to talk’, came my words over the phone. Funny how we choose the one we know on first name basis, the one we regard as most friendly. We trust in friendship, forgetting the man inside has a job to do, and will do it with all his organizational might.

The date was set. I arrived and shuffled upstairs nervously, the staircase creaking underfoot. It was made of timber and carpeted to muffle the sound of shoes. There they were, smiling, and all welcomed me. We prayed, naturally. I went through the motions and explained, answered questions and put things in as concise detail as possible. It’s a long time ago but I do remember saying: “By the Bible’s definition of Porneia, I am guilty, but that’s all I am going to say. I’m not going down the 'who put what where' road…”

Porneia is Greek word for covering a range of sins involving genitalia (obviously, what else?) I wouldn’t be there for pecking a cheek, now would I.

After a while a very strange thing happened. I began to notice a shift in the emotions of the room. I began to sense that the 3 men in front of me sympathized with me. Yes, me, the fornicator. The adulterer. It was very, very weird. By the time I left, I felt a sense of camaraderie amongst us. I had arrived in shame, I was leaving feeling like the one cheated on. They said they would get back to me. But in the meantime, I was to spill the beans to my wife.

I did. She was hurt and angry, but loved me and forgave me. The innocent party had extended the olive branch. We agreed to recommit to building our marriage. I returned to the KHall a couple of days later, when I was summoned to hear the verdict of my case. I prepared for the worst, and here it came:

‘They feel my wife has not supported me spiritually and this contributed to my actions. They feel her own involvement, or lack thereof, in the congregation has had a detrimental effect on me. In fact, they have ‘felt’ for me for some time. They can see I am truly sorry, it was a once-off, and all they want to see is me back on my feet. I would be removed as a mini servant and the announcement would happen at the next meeting. But my reproof is private, not public. So no announcement of a public reproof would be given to the congregation.’

I was gob smacked. I had no idea I was viewed that way. I had no idea that she, was viewed that way. Three men of God had basically taken my side as a man over a woman.

Thursday arrived and at the end of the meeting, just before the closing song, another very weird thing happened. The presiding overseer (todays ‘coordinator’), aka ‘head honcho’, got up on the platform and said I am publicly reproved before the congregation. The music began, and barring a few strange looks, everyone burst into song. After the closing prayer, my wife ran out of the hall in tears. The three amigos on my case rushed over to me - well, one did, the other two rushed over to the coordinator to ask him “what the hell was he thinking!? We had told Taylor the reproof was private, not public!” Apparently, his reply was that he had consulted Bethel as a Bethel elder and that they had determined otherwise, without telling the judicial elders who dealt with me. Imagine that. Then all three came over to me and apologized profusely. Well, that was something, I suppose. After all, we were buddies now. They also rushed outside to find and apologize to my wife. I do take my hat off to that. They were decent men.

But here’s the clincher: years later when my marriage indeed failed for good, I looked up elder ‘Mike’. I was cold at the time but I thought to take a flyer and see if he wanted to catch up for old times’ sake. He agreed. We met for coffee. By this time I had moved out the area and my ex-wife had moved on. Over coffee he told me that she had tried to come back to their meetings, but that they had done their level best to put her off.

‘What do you mean,’ I asked.

He said, ‘We made very clear we did not want her sort at our hall.’ I will never forget the words.

They did not reach out to help. They did not encourage her. She was never disfellowshipped. They just did not want her there. That was me: gob smack number two. What Mike did not know was that I had been in contact with my ex-wife and we had spoken through a lot of our history and reached a peace of sorts. I knew at the time Mike speaks of, that ‘her sort’ was just a young woman battling to hold it together, dealing with a divorce, like I was, and the shame attached to it, of a failed young witness marriage. She returned to the Khall for help. It wasn’t forthcoming. I never saw ‘Mike’ again. He has since passed away.

JW’s have a very high divorce rate, relative to their global numbers and their claim that they have ‘truth’. They continue to sanction, or at least, do nothing to discourage, young witness weddings. ‘Better get married in case you are tempted to have sex before marriage’, is more or less the credo. Recently two JW marriage officers revealed that they have both had a 100% failure rate amongst the weddings they have administered. Most of those marriages were over in the first 3-4 years.

I was out of the JW faith for another 12 years after my divorce, and remained unmarried during that time. Then I met a girl who I could consider marrying, and after discovering I was an ex JW, she took an interest in the faith of her own accord a year later, unbeknown to me, and began to have a bible study with JW. It took me by complete surprise. It also forced me to reconsider returning to JW’s, and I did, yet it turned into a disaster. Our relationship failed in misery under enormous pressure and after so many ups and downs I lost count of, it pressed me into another judiciary case after the relationship ended, because I felt a need to ‘come clean’, as it were, over past actions. I had been associating with a congregation long enough by then. Such is the power of the conditioning to confess to men. I could kick myself now in hindsight. But as it turned out, there was a silver lining to this cloud of doom.

It was at this second judiciary case that I began to truly wake up, and see the truth within the truth. I was disfellowshipped after coming forward voluntarily for scriptural wrongdoing no one knew of. It was while disfellowshipped, licking my wounds alone at night in my apartment, feeling sorry for myself, that I began researching many topics, notably the first one:

How does Jehovah God view me while I am df?

If the end comes, where do I stand?

Do I have a relationship with God while df?

And similar questions to these, but all along the same vein i.e. my current position as a df person.

What I found in the JW publications was truly staggering. So many contradictory answers hit me from all decades and publications, it was difficult to actually work out what the actual doctrine was. I saw how the organization flip-flopped in opinion, depending on the decade and flavor at the time. One minute I was in a dead state and nothing I could do would merit any favour with God. The next I could pray and have a rship with God, and even go on field service as a df person, if I chose to. One minute I was ‘dead in his (Gods) eyes’, the next it said, if the end comes, my future lies in his hands.

I then researched my committee case. After two and a half hours in the case, I was asked to leave the room. After ten minutes I was called back in and told: “We can’t reach a decision and will have to get back to you.”

The Organized to Accomplish our Ministry publication makes very clear that the committee is meant to pursue with reaching the heart of the person until it becomes abundantly clear which way the persons heart leans, or words to that effect, no matter how long this process takes. In other words, a decision either way MUST be reached, regardless of time. My committee couldn’t reach a decision. Apparently owning up voluntarily to past mistakes, when there is no bad publicity for the congregation, is a hard one to figure out.

When they finally reached a decision days later, I was called back and we sat in a circle, awkwardly. They told me the decision to df. The very first question I asked was:

How soon can I apply for reinstatement? That’s right, me the unrepentant wrongdoer, the wicked one, wants to come back.

There’s no time restraint, they said.

I feel ready even as I sit here, I jokingly put forward. My banter did not go down well.

They said, technically I could apply any time. It was up to me.

I never missed one meeting for four months and applied to be reinstated. After two weeks they met with me briefly and said it’s too soon.

I said, I thought that time wasn’t a factor? Aren’t you interested in how I’m doing even?

I was told that my response did not indicate humility on my part.

I said, but your response about time was misleading then. You said there was no time consideration.

So I said that I did not want another pointless exercise if my second letter is also two soon, so can they at least give me an indication as to what is a reasonable length of time to pass, before submitting another application?

Silence. And polite Kingdom smiles.

Four months later, after not missing any meetings for the entire time, I submitted another letter, contracted terrible flu just after that and by the time they met with me I was as sick as a dog, but went anyway. It was pouring with rain – I mean, really coming down. With my box of tissues next to me, blowing my nose every five minutes, I was told that my letter had been accepted and I was once again a JW. All I could do was groan a thank you between sneezes and dizziness, and mild fever….and smile. I have to admit, I was genuinely happy. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Looking back now, I realize how the seeds had been planted. The seeds of research. For during my time out, I researched a number of things. I read Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz and downloaded the Shepherding the flock of God, the elder’s handbook. (Boy, was that an eyeopener!) My research exposed the absurdity of 607BCE as the year of the fall of Jerusalem, as absurd as saying Queen Elizabeth began her rule in 1948 (do you really want me to explain why that’s impossible?!) ….and although I did not understand it at the time, it (607) was to become my underpinning conviction that JW’s have it all topsy turvy, no matter how fancy JW.org looks, or how slick the suits and pinkie rings. Without 607, u got nothin baby!

After reinstatement I arranged to work on field service with the Circuit Overseer. I wanted to quiz him on a few matters, relating to my case. I forgot to mention but he gave the talk which finally convinced me to go forward to the elders. At the time in his usual end of week activity slot, he spoke of having my ‘head greased with oil’ and trusting the love of the elders and Jehovah’s forgiveness for one who confesses. I remember thinking ‘what a stirring talk. I’ve got to do this!’

When I put the questions to him about how and why the elders could not reach decision and the necessary protocol, he said: ‘If it was up to me, you would have been out for longer.’

At the following district convention, I pulled aside one of the elders on my committee and in good spirits asked the question: How was it that you as a committee reached the decision that I had a wicked heart, because remember, the Organization book says that only a person with a proven wicked heart determined to pursue a course of wrongdoing, will be df’d?

He said I just did not appear repentant or sorry. He said I never appeared remorseful.

So I said that, ‘had they asked me or probed how I felt I would have cracked like an egg. Its in my nature to hide my feelings under aloofness. I have had that ‘curse’ since young. But I was feeling so vulnerable and was waiting for questions that I could respond to with my deepest feelings. They never came. Just as I got all the facts of the situation out the way, it was all over’.

I said, ‘you mean if I had a box of tissues and was emotional, it may have swung it the other way?’, and laughed.

My banter did not go down well, again.

I also began a series of meditations while disfellowshipped, Deepak Chopra style. (I still do but not as often as I should.) It calmed my mind and focused my heart, and it did it the other way round too. While in meditation I began to picture meeting someone who deserved me and whom I deserved. Someone ‘real’ as the saying goes. Someone who understood pain. Someone who had failed a bit, enough to feel compassion for others and empathy for their struggles in life and who had a broad base for responses to others. My picture expanded in my mind of this person and time went by.

One day I answered a random advert for a fitness instructor. I was having trouble with my core strength, as age crept up. She worked from her home. I entered the room, filled out the forms and got down to the fitness assessment. After a short period of time, I felt a commonality with her. There was this ‘thing’. Hard to explain. We spoke about upbringing. It turned out she knew people I knew and had grown up in a similar part of the country. I had just met the girl of my dreams, or shall I say, of my meditations. It turned out she was df’d as well. An exJW. With scars, like me. Imagine that. She understood. And when I heard her story behind her disfellowshipping, mine was tame by comparison. I was a mere fledgling. She had been given a good chauvinistic going over by the goons in her cong. I use ‘goons’ affectionately, in this case, trust me. But men of God? Certainly not.

My disfellowshipping allowed me to glimpse what few manage to see. The real truth inside the truth. It was confusing and very, very stressful. I was torn. I was overwhelmed. It was the introduction to many realities and hard facts that have taken me nearly a decade to process. Waking up is not easy. It’s a long, arduous task proportionate to your investment in the ‘truth’. It not just a case of consciously understanding wrong and right. Its an ideology that must be ripped from the fabric of your thoughts and basic daily decision making. It happens in layers, and more layers. They peel back like an onion as you remember your own history and past buried memories are triggered and brought to full awareness. There are a ton of ‘what ifs’ to navigate. There is regret and sorrow. I have felt lots of sorrow. Capital ‘L’. Sorrow at the loved ones I have who I know will tun on me in a jiffy without hesitation if they knew I was Pimo. Sorrow over past choices I made to prop up man made rules. Sorrow at opportunities lost. Sorrow over not saying anything when I could have defended someone else who was under scrutiny from the elders.

I have felt anger and a strong desire to correct the injustice I have seen. Recently some of that anger turned inward and I have needed help. I wasn’t ashamed to ask for it. It was a relief to realize that in this respect I have changed. My views that I have an absolute view of the world, that I am always right, that I am elite, special, separate from the world…have waned. I am now more comfortable with the humility that I am just like most other people, dependent in some respects, stronger in others, but always open to correction, open to learning something new. I no longer have all the answers. Its liberating to know that I never had them anyhow, except in the delusion of a ‘spiritual paradise’ and ‘new personality’ that fed my overzealous imagination.

So, where to from here? There is one more subject to cover. It’s the small matter of ‘reaching out’ and all that surrounds it. I now see it as ‘promotion’, that’s all, like any good corporation would promote men of vision.

I was nearly there, not quite, but nearly. I was a bit like the United Nations were (according to JW): apparently the UN was, then wasnt, then was for a time, according to prophecy. But they were talking about their own membership to the UN, just in code. Who knew?

Part 3… to be cont.

Last edited:

Taylor_607_Made

Jan 3, 2022
Part 3: Reaching out for an office of fine work.

In detention barracks, we had a unique situation with regard to leadership. The main reason for this was that most of us were young men in our late teens. How do you become an elder when you are still learning to tie your shoelaces, so to speak? Or putting it another way, how does the holy spirit appoint men to take the lead when most of them are not men yet?

As is the case with most things JW, there is always a way to make things fit the situation - scripturally of course - be that a time in history that needs to fit a date to serve an agenda/need, or a situation like we had, where a young man needed some organizational clout to be an authority over other equally young men, as himself, in order to maintain order. Above all else, organizational arrangement takes priority. Therefore, we were allowed to ‘act as elders’ and although the appointment wasn’t official eldership, it was as good as. The term ‘acting overseer’ was used and apparently the holy spirit was OK with everything.

To be fair, there were some older guys in the barracks from time to time, who also served as ‘acting overseers’. Some had travelled abroad or even had lived overseas at the time of their conscripted military intake after school and therefore when they could no longer delay the military call by the government any longer for legitimate reasons, they came into DB older than the rest of us who were fresh out of high school. One or two had been to university or college, but very few, due to tertiary education being so frowned upon by the organization.

These were the older, more experienced men that I looked up to because after all, compared to the rest of us, they had ‘lived’ a bit. They were in their mid-twenties, mostly. To my mind, there was a chasm between them and I in age and maturity. Looking back, I realize how childlike my views were of them. We were all babies.

I was fortunate enough to be used in this arrangement and share in some leadership responsibility, and I appreciate some of the lessons and learning curves it taught me. I was able to give a manuscript talk at the age of 19 on our prison convention program and introduce a new publication to the prison audience, a ‘privilege’ on the outside reserved only for much older, qualified men who had served as elders for many years. I remember reading the material word for word, since one could not deviate at all from the manuscript, and I remember trying to make my voice sound as conversational as possible, just like a governing body member. I conducted a weekly bookstudy, and the daily text with the bookstudy group and conducted shepherding calls on certain brothers assigned weekly to me. Once a week, the bookstudy overseers and the 'acting elder' overseers met and we discussed feedback on these calls to see if everyone was doing ok, or who needed help further. These were no ordinary shepherding calls, mind you. Under prison circumstances, they were conducted in a more casual setting wherever time could be made. Prison routing was not the most reliable.

Being part of the brothers taking the lead, made me feel like Timothy. I was in ‘training’, as he was by the apostle Paul. I kept reminding myself that one day this training would come in handy in a normal congregation when I served as a real elder.

I discussed my detention barracks experience in more detail in a previous chapter of my story (Part 1 above). For the sake of this chapter and its theme, I fast-forward to the time when I was eventually appointed as a ministerial servant: 3 years after my release from detention barracks and during marriage.

As mentioned in another chapter (Part 2_Divorce and Disfellowshipping), my young witness marriage began to deteriorate after a while. It began to affect my station as a ministerial servant and it became harder and harder to hide the difficulties in my personal life. I was also self-employed and so there were secular demands on my time. Meeting attendance and performing some of the privileges I had, became a real challenge. What followed more or less from this time onward, was a series of bizarre events which, for the first time in my life, exposed me to the more sinister side of the brothers taking the lead.

At the time I was well ‘used’ as an MS and a likable enough chap and so the difficulties I refer to above were more within myself, and not visible to others. I quietly plodded on in my service, whilst fearing the worst in terms of my marriage. After a Thursday night meeting, the presiding overseer called me and a regular pioneer - also an MS – aside, and we went to the front of the hall and sat down. He was a bethel elder, an ex-missionary and about a hundred years old, or so it seemed to me at the time. I think he was around 60, as I discovered when I eventually did the math. And I knew he really liked me. He at first complimented us on our diligence and attitude as MS’s and the assets we were to the cong. Then he said he was pleased to inform us that we had both been recommended as elders to the Circuit Overseer.

At this point may the reader try to imagine Sid the Sloth from the movie ‘Ice Age’ and his predominant expression and combine it with Trinity from The Matrix doing an aerial ‘slo mo’ - where the camera swivels around her target - because that’s how I must have looked, and that’s how it felt. It seemed the entire kingdom hall and its members were rotating around me and my dumb expression in 3D slow motion.

‘Pioneer Fellow’ next to me seemed equally dumbstruck. After all, we were both just shy of 25. After sheepish grins and some very strange, barely audible chortles of gratitude from us, we parted and the regular pioneer and I walked away toward the rear of the hall in stunned silence. The CO visit was just around the corner. Soon, we would be ‘older men’ and a milestone in our spiritual careers would be reached.

I remember how everything I did after that seemed to turn to gold: my comments at the meetings, the way I handed the publishers their magazines at the rear of the hall, my holding of the roving mike, my nodding of my head at salient points (the same old ones) during the public talk.

‘Pioneer Fellow’ and myself regularly gave each other knowing looks and made brief alludings now and then to the upcoming CO visit. We ploughed into field service on the weekends and we made sure we went the extra mile with whatever was asked of us. And finally, it was here! We did all that was required and set perfect examples during the CO visit, with a bit extra thrown in just to make sure…and then…relief, it was over. We knew that appointments were made more or less within 2 or 3 weeks of a CO leaving a cong. and so we carried on as normal and waited.

And we waited, and then we waited. We waited (boy, did we wait), some more.

In fact, we waited until the next CO visit, through that one and on to the next. Although we never wavered in conduct during this time, which amounted to almost a year and a half, I no longer cared for the appointment because I knew the state of my marriage no longer qualified me anyway, and I would not accept the appointment if it ever was going to happen. Strangely enough, ‘Pioneer Fellows’ marriage was also hitting the skids and there were events in his life similarly compromising his service. I only learned of this much later. It seems we were both good at putting our best feet forward at the expense of transparency.

The question eating us was: Why?...and all its cousin questions: Why weren’t we appointed? Why had no one said anything? Is this normal? Was it arrogant to expect feedback? What was going on?!

After the third CO visit passed, I happened to have a game of racquetball with an elder I new quite well. A few of us played now and then. I built up some courage after the game and approached him on the subject. I was curious and no longer cared how I appeared by asking.

I remember starting out: “At risk of sounding immodest and lacking humility, Jack, is there any way you could share with me the reason why….”

I recounted the presiding overseers’ words to us. As I spoke, Jack’s face exuded concern and care, yet also bewilderment and confusion.

“Taylor…I hear you but honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about. Although very happy with your support as MS’s, the body of elders has never discussed appointment to elder for you, nor ‘Pioneer Fellow’.”

It was an embarrassing moment, to say the least. It was bewildering. It was astonishing. The presiding overseer had acted totally independently when he spoke to us. None of what he said was true. There was no recommendation by the body of elders. There was to be no theocratic direction by holy spirit. This was one man, simply doing his own thing.

I remember the drive home. It was one of those drives where, when you arrive at your destination - in my case, home – you can’t remember how you got there. I began to think of how, meeting after meeting, for weeks and weeks and months, the presiding overseer felt no sense of accountability and no sense of empathy toward providing any explanation to us whatsoever, that two young men’s expectations would never be realized. Week after week he had posed as a loving shepherd and elder and friend, and yet knew all along his words to us were a lie.

Sometime after this, another bizarre matter arose. In those days publishers sold the magazines to the public and bought them at the magazine counter for placement in the field. I was the magazine servant. My two assistants were both self-employed, as I was. Both had unbelieving wives, and one was aggressively opposed to her husband being a witness. It was a challenge at times, for us all to be at the meetings 20 min before the start to open the counter and assist the brothers and sisters. I approached the presiding overseer and asked if it was possible to have a younger, single brother or better yet, a younger bethel brother to assist and who could fill in at moment’s notice when the three of us were running late for the meeting. The magazine counter would then always be available to the publishers well ahead of the meeting times.

My suggestion was shot down in flames. “We do not remove brothers from their privileges,” he said. He had misunderstood me entirely, for I was suggesting an additional person, not replacing anyone. Nothing I said made him budge.

A few weeks later, at the start of the meeting, the providing overseer walked up to the magazine counter, accompanied by two younger bethel brothers.

“John and Jimmy will be taking over the magazine counter from now on”, he said. “Please show them what to do.”

And just like that, all three of us were removed from the privilege of serving the magazine desk. There was no explanation, no sense of acknowledgement for my suggestion from before, no courtesy shown.

About a year or so later my marriage fell apart, as referred to in a previous chapter, wherein I explain the judicial committee experience and the subsequent announcement made by the presiding overseer that I was publicly reproved and no longer serving as an MS. (As explained, the decision by the committee was a private reproof. ) It was then that I realized, and very publicly so, that I had fallen out of favor with the presiding overseer. I was no longer an MS ‘wingman’. We were no longer an effective team.

On to another bizarre event: Not long after my removal as a servant, we moved congregations and to another home to attempt starting afresh in our marriage. However, it made little difference. The descent of my marriage into ashes continued. As a result, we never quite got into the meeting routine in the new congregation and were not very well known in the congregation. One thing led to another as the months passed and one day, through a series of events impossible to recount in sufficient context to the fairness of all parties, I found myself with grounds for scriptural divorce. Apparently, I was the innocent mate. Everyone who has been through a similar and terrible relationship ordeal such as divorce, knows that the term ‘innocent mate’ is baloney. There are three sides to every story.

I informed the elders of my decision to not ‘forgive’ my wife, in the scriptural sense. In reality I was using the legal ‘out’ card since we both knew that we were not well suited as a couple and we best cut our losses and move on. A couple of weeks later, after her judicial case, I received a call. I was in my car at the time. It was an elder who had befriended me when we moved into the cong.

“Hey Taylor, how’s things? Do you have time for coffee and a chat?”

“Sure”, I said, and we made arrangements to meet at a local cafe.

On the way there, I received another call from him.

“Maybe its best we meet at the hall,” he said. He was suddenly pushed for time. Something had come up.

I thought the change in venue strange at first, but the hall was a midway point between destinations, and I agreed. It was late afternoon. I was still in working clothes - denims, in fact.

When I arrived, there were three cars parked and after entering the hall I looked across at the oval ring of 4 seats. One was empty. I then realized that I had been duped, in my naivete, into a judicial case. I sat down and asked if this was, indeed, just that. The answer was ‘yes’.

The ’innocent mate’ was in a judicial case? How did that work?

When a judicial case is formed by the elders to handle wrongdoing, it is formed because there is sufficient evidence weighing against the person to warrant it. Two witnesses to the wrongdoing have already been established, or the wrongdoer has confessed to the wrongdoing. It’s written in the elders’ handbook, or ‘shepherding’ book. Its not rocket science. When one comes to a judicial hearing, one is guilty. One doesn’t arrive and only then begin to establish his or her case for innocence. The guilt has been pre-established before the committee is formed. A lot of Witnesses do not realize this important detail, and neither is it explained to anyone. The purpose of one being there is for the elders to determine the level of remorse for the wrongdoing, and whether or not the degree and sincerity of the remorse warrants excommunication or not.

In our situation, my wife was the wrongdoer with a third party. She had confessed to that. I was the ‘innocent mate’ (that term again).

The judicial case I found myself in now, fitted none of the above criteria. They were breaking their own rules.

The case is a bit of a blur, to be honest and my memory fails me since it was so long ago, but I do remember one detail. At a point in the proceedings, I was told that I did not love my wife sufficiently and I was partly to blame for what she did. I was read a scripture to that effect but I cannot remember which.

At another point I was asked by one of the committee members:

“So…why are you divorcing your wife?”.

I replied: “Is that a trick question? There are scriptural grounds.” I deliberately stared him down.

The ridiculous nature of the judicial hearing aside - since it was impossible for them to disfellowship an ‘innocent mate’ - the real issue for me, was the dishonesty and deviousness applied to get me to the kingdom hall in the first place. Those brothers would have known that, had they explained to me the reasons for meeting, I would never had agreed to do so, since there was no basis for a judicial hearing. A chat over coffee with a friend elder is not the same as a ‘chat’ to a group of three, two of which being total strangers to me. They knew this and therefore, in my opinion, felt justified to use more underhanded means to achieve getting me to that hall.

After my divorce I stopped associating with JW’s and going to the meetings. I attended two or three memorials in the years to come but for the most part I just got on with life. I was angry. Angry with a failed marriage. Angry over failed expectations. Angry over detention barracks. Angry with anything I could find. Angry with my parents for not letting me play sport at school, even. I wanted to be left alone. But it felt good to be making the decision for myself to be angry, if that makes sense. It felt good to be thinking for myself. I worked and existed and tried to put my life together again, piece by piece.

Over the years that followed I suppressed a lot of the memories I had as a witness, especially the ones I have described in this chapter. But when I began to reassociate 12 years later, the memories came back, and often with vengeance. (You may wonder why I reassociated? I will explain in a moment.)

When I returned, there were questions about my past needing answers. They boiled beneath the surface of my outwardly shy demeanor. Additionally, what I saw amongst the brothers taking the lead now that I had returned, triggered emotions over my previous dealings with similar men prior to my divorce 12 years previously.

In the present, I noticed the same duplicity as I had seen before with the old presiding overseer back in the day and similar devious means to achieve an aim by the elders to get me to that hall for that contrived committee case – the same ‘cutting of corners’ in the name of Jah. To this day, as PIMO, I continue to see this: blatant lying in the name of .Org and anything connected to its higher, divine aims – naturally, at the expense of the feelings of the individual.

I noticed, even with close associates, this same tendency, and so began to wonder if this is just general human nature and not solely a behavior trait of JW men taking the lead. I believe there is truth to that, for I have done exactly the same thing in many circumstances. We have all told white lies, for some reason we believed was for the greater good.

But a systematic, mental approach to be devious by men in authority, who influence the lives of others good or bad, in the name of divinity? Is that not something else entirely?

‘Waking up’ dovetailed with my search for answers to these questions, because one of the things I researched through the process of waking up, was the life of J.F. Rutherford and Pastor Russell, in effect, the foundation of the formation of JW’s.

What I discovered about the man JFR, the ‘Judge’, the ‘Generalissimo’, who had never been a practicing judge in the first place, was staggering. After reading all sides of many stories, it would be a mild description to term him an opinionated, self-indulged, duplicitous bully, if the reports were true. Lying seemed part and parcel of the way he conducted his spiritual business, from his usurping of Russell’s will, to how he interpreted scripture, to how he dealt with organizational matters, to how he dealt with the authorities, to his usage of the Beth-Sarim mansion in San Diego. When I researched the years of Presidents Knorr and Franz, it was no surprise to find the same methods, especially in the 1975 controversy. Hiding the truth in plain sight of everyone, seems to be a well-rehearsed method amongst the leadership of JW’S, dating from its foundation to present.

As recently as 2017, JW leadership has come under fire for hiding details from the authorities over child abuse. They hide documents, hide records from the courts and hide lists of pedophiles. It is common knowledge in those legal circles that JW’s regularly obstruct the legal process by simply not cooperating.

Through the covid pandemic there have been letters for elders eyes only, letters not to be read out or shown to the congregation concerning official vaccination policy of bethel family’s around the world, whist creating the impression publicly that all are free to choose their own course without consequence. Recently a local elder said in his public talk, and I quote: ‘The direction coming from the governing body is to get vaccinated. It’s as if Jehovah is telling us to be vaccinated.”

The decision to return to in-person meetings as a free choice over zoom meetings has been weirdly juxtaposed against the underlying sentiment that if you choose to stay on zoom meetings, then it’s possible you don’t love your brothers enough to want to see them again in person and/or maybe you have got lazy staying at home.

Another recent letter, also not to be shared with the congregation, confirms that ‘men’ as young as their early twenty’s will now be appointed as elders, since worldwide, there seems to be a new trend in older men in their thirties and forties: they are not stepping up to the elder task anymore. Imagine two or three twenty-year-olds on your committee case bringing their wisdom and experience to the table? Imagine such ‘older men’ trying to understand a complex life situation? Imagine the chaos. Imagine the case appeals.

Why did I reassociate, then? The girl I was dating at the time had a few life questions and I answered them from the bible. She became curious of the religion and one day, after me being away for a few days she surprised me on my return, by telling me she had walked into a kingdom hall and asked for a bible study. Since we were in a serious relationship and contemplating a future together, I reevaluated my position and a year after she started studying, I went to my first meeting in 12 years. In the months that followed, it became apparent that she was studying with a view to converting to my set of beliefs for marriage alone, since she knew that I would not join another religion after being a witness. In her private life, there was little change in her world view. And there was little change to our relationship in a physical sense. I was in no position to pretend to hold to bible principles or to be self-righteous for her sake. And I had not made a firm decision about being a witness again. After 12 years of being out, it was all a work in progress.

With hindsight, I now realize I reassociated because the JW roots run deep. Being a Witness from birth brings with it a deep network of thought processes and subconscious patterns that cannot be erased. They can be ignored and suppressed, but only for a time. At some point, they must be dealt with.

The relationship failed under the enormous stress of high expectations from ourselves and others, as I explained in part 2 of my story. By this time, I was fully involved in witness life and viewed as such by others. So, when the relationship failed it set in motion my feelings of guilt and a misguided need to go forward to the elders, which, in turn, led to the judicial case as described in the chapter and my disfellowshipping, and the period of time in which I researched 607BCE as the false date for Jerusalem’s destruction. Hence, my waking up.

For the sake of this chapter/part 3's theme, its necessary to speak of another bizarre event involving the girl I was courting and an elder, a man who had been a Blue Boy with me in the detention barracks experience. When I returned to associate, he was serving as an elder in the sister congregation of my girlfriend. We met to catch up over a beer or two and I told him about my future intentions of marriage with her. At a following assembly, he was interviewed on the platform over the subject of depression. He had suffered from it in the past and his wife was currently doing the same. After the session we were standing outside and he said how every time he looked up at the audience, he could not take his eyes off a very attractive sister in the audience. She had strikingly blue eyes.

‘Oh? I said’, wondering where this story was going, coming from a married man, and how he had just come off the platform extolling his devoted marriage.

‘I was so distracted’, he said. ‘She is truly beautiful.’ And he went on and on about her physicality to the degree that his words were inappropriate from a married elder.

Just then, my girlfriend, who was now my fiancé, walked up to us and I saw his draw drop. I introduced them, and her and I made arrangements to meet for coffee after the assembly. When she walked away, he was battling to speak properly.

‘But, but, but…that’s the sister I saw from the platform’, he spluttered.

‘Oh?” I said, with a renewed interest in his previous inappropriate expressions.

Two or three weeks later, my fiancé phoned me and said she had received a call from this elder, offering his assistance with anything she may need. She felt it strange and inappropriate given the fact that he was not in her congregation and a married man. Is that normal? she asked. I defended him in view of our friendship and said he was probably trying to be supportive because he knew me from the past, from Detention Barracks. I knew that wasn't true.

A while later, after a school function (my fiancé’s son and the elder's son attended the same school), she called me again to tell me he had ‘cornered her’ at the function and made her feel very uncomfortable, again offering to assist her in any way he could.

I called him the next day, and told him in a polite way that if he called her again, I would have his liver on a plate, scripturally speaking of course, and would use the ‘silver sword’ (New World Translation) to extract it from his body with the help of fellow elders. He begged me to not tell his wife about this, due to her depression. He didn’t mean anything by it. He was just being friendly.

I said, ‘If you were being friendly and I am a friend to you, how come you did not inform me beforehand and inquire if I was comfortable with your calling my fiancé? And where, exactly, did you get her phone number from? You did not get it from me, the logical source.’

Frustrated with his attitude, I said I would take advice on whether or not his actions were ‘normal’ for an elder, knowing full well they weren’t. At the time I was being assisted by another elder in my cong. with my own return to the Witnesses, and I planned to talk to him about it on the night of our next weekly ‘study’, which was more like a weekly catch up session to get me back on track in the JW ways.

When I broached the subject with him on the Monday night of the next week, he said he had already received a call from the elder (lets call him Wally) and straightened the matter out. There was nothing to be worried about. Wally meant no harm.

He told me that its not reasonable to accuse Wally of wanting to ‘run off’ with my fiancé, and we needed to leave the matter.

I said, ‘Excuse me? Accuse him of, what?!’

Wally had spun a story that I was creating a problem for his marriage, by inventing the accusation that he was attempting to pry my fiancé away from me and run off into the hills.

I explained to Elder 2 that my only concern was whether or not Wally’s actions were appropriate as an elder, and to tell him he was out of line, that was all. There was no ‘accusation’ under any circumstances.

What followed was an amazing display of how one elder covered for another by believing a lie over the truth of a matter. I was gob-smacked. In the interests of unity and peace I was to leave the matter alone by allowing Wally’s lie to be the final word. I was to be the disgruntled, insecure boyfriend and Wally was to come out shining like a responsible, considerate elder.

In view of the stage I was at, i.e. returning to JW’s, and in view of my fiancés progress with her bible study, we dropped the matter. From then on Wally’s wife never greeted me. No doubt she had likewise believed Wally’s lie.

It will take a lot to sway me from the conclusion I have reached that JW leadership is schooled through the various stages of receiving ‘privileges’ to set aside honesty for the sake of the organization. If the foundation of the modern-day movement of JW has as its base the duplicity and dishonesty of Rutherford, or at the very least, an extreme lack of transparency, is it any wonder that the same methods of deviousness have been finetuned over the last 100 years to be the norm at a basic congregational level today?

Jesus made clear that the simple principle of the type of tree, whether rotten or good, producing the corresponding fruit, prevails under all circumstances. For Christians, the parable can be relied upon 100% of the time. It is a failproof method of identifying true from false so that a sound decision can be made over who to believe in. When we have misguided hope that people are different in the face of the fruitage they produce, or when we are in denial because we are conditioned to not tell an apple from an orange, that’s when the problems arise. And that's when men like the ones I have described get away with 'murder'.

On the surface, individuals are sincere and caring. The leadership is conscientious and diligent for the most part. I have known some very, very loving brothers who would not hurt a fly. Yet given the clutch position in any given situation of choosing truth over ‘the truth’, the nicest elder will choose organizational loyalty and he will close ranks.

Are these brothers ‘desirous of a fine work’? Sure, they are. Do they have my interests at heart? Of course, they do. So long as I have the interests of the organization at heart, that is. They manage this organization, and instruct accordingly. They are clever, coordinated and talented. They speak well, they gesture descriptively, they advise and console. They smile a lot. They pace across the hall slowly and deliberately. Their voices are even-keeled. They are calm and collected. They even tell funny jokes. Some are wealthy. Some are poor. Some will give the last shirt on their backs for you, and its undershirt. They will cry with you and laugh with you, if you want.

But coursing though their veins is blood of another sort. They serve a structure, they serve protocol.

They ride a chariot in the sky with its lists of requirements to hop on board. It’s a fast chariot, a busy one. The wheels spin weekly, daily, hourly. They have work to do. Lots of it.

I have decided to step aside, and not get in their way.

• Love
Reactions: Lori Jane

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
At this point may the reader try to imagine Sid the Sloth from the movie ‘Ice Age’ and his predominant expression and combine it with Trinity from The Matrix doing an aerial ‘slo mo’
You are so hilarious - I can really picture it! lol

Through the covid pandemic there have been letters for elders eyes only, letters not to be read out or shown to the congregation concerning official vaccination policy of bethel family’s around the world, whist creating the impression publicly that all are free to choose their own course without consequence. Recently a local elder said in his public talk, and I quote: ‘The direction coming from the governing body is to get vaccinated. It’s as if Jehovah is telling us to be vaccinated.”
This really get me and I think if all JWs knew this it would truly open the flood gates of a mass exodus from the organization.

Jesus made clear that the simple principle of the type of tree, whether rotten or good, producing the corresponding fruit, prevails under all circumstances. For Christians, the parable can be relied upon 100% of the time. It is a failproof method of identifying true from false so that a sound decision can be made over who to believe in. When we have misguided hope that people are different in the face of the fruitage they produce, or when we are in denial because we are conditioned to not tell an apple from an orange, that’s when the problems arise. And that's when men like the ones I have described get away with 'murder'.
This is the best paragraph!

Reactions: Taylor_607_Made

Neelie61

Apr 18, 2022
Part One

End of part one.

Hi there. I too am originally from South Africa and I have quite a different story...I enjoyed reading about your experience as a JW...😁🤣😇

Diana S

Facilitator
Staff member
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 15, 2021
The Netherlands
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

If ok with the forum and site, I would like to present my story in different parts, or stages - five should just about cover it - partly bcos its a long one and partly bcos it has to be done in between other demands on my time. But there is a third reason: I have noticed in my research travels, that there is not much put forward from my corner of the world with its unique African history, racial and political, that can assist others to find a foothold and/or the leverage to, well,...to leave.

I'm hoping that my sharing can pry open a few psyches, and let some light in, not the 'new' kind that cant make up its mind which time of day it is, but the kind that is true and consistent and hopefully warmer than what we are accustomed to from our friends in Wallkill.

I suggest a prologue, a body and an epilogue. I hope it makes interesting reading. There is the usual: growing up, school, prison, marriage, going cold, getting warm, one or two judicial cases, returning, leaving (again), lies, more lies, the girl of my dreams, the GB member of my dreams...all this and more...salted and peppered with some humour and a medium-sized dollop of sarcasm, the lowest form of wit of course, yet notwithstanding, a form which at times has no parallel, as a form of expression.

I welcome feedback and barring Lori Jane telling me otherwise, I shall begin ti fill this space in a few days.

TaylorM.
I didn't do prison actually:ROFLMAO:

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
You need to write a novel. Your story is very interesting and style of writing colorful, it could be a number 1.