Devotional Space for Grace | A Work in Progress | 11.6

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
LOST and FOUND
A Work in Progress

We have become his poetry, a re-created people that will fulfill the destiny
he has given each of us, for we are joined to Jesus, the Anointed One.
Even before we were born, God planned in advance our destiny

and the good works we would do to fulfill it!

Ephesians 2:10, The Passion Translation

You admit your innermost feelings to a close friend: “My life seems pointless! I seem to be going in circles - lost, with no sense of direction.”

Your friend kindly reminds you, “we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Eph 2:10 ESV) The word “workmanship” is the word “
poiema” from which we see the word poem. It meant any work of art – a poem, a song, a painting, a statue or a piece of architecture - something artfully created. When born again we became a unique divine work of art created by our Father to express the works He has prepared for us. There’s no one else he made quite like you.

LOST and FOUND 6 image.jpg

C H Spurgeon
said, “You have seen a painter with his palette on his finger and he has ugly little daubs of paint on the palette. What can he do with those spots? Go in and see the picture. What splendid painting! In an even wiser way does Jesus act toward us. He takes us, poor smudges of paint, and He makes the blessed pictures of His grace out of us. It is neither the brush nor the paint He uses, but it is the skill of His own hand which does it all.”

God masterfully worked with different materials: drunk Noah, aged Abraham, deceitful Jacob, ugly Leah, abused Joseph, murderer Moses, fearful Gideon, prostitute Rahab, immoral David, suicidal Elijah, bankrupt Job, ungroomed John the Baptist, compromising Peter, pharisee Saul and dead Lazarus! One third of the Bible was written by murderers.

What God has begun in you, he will complete - Phil 1:6

Reactions: Dana and Ruth M

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Who makes us into works of art? God or Christ Jesus or both? Either or? Its a nice point to bring out but confusses me on this bit.