Daily Verse Psalm 130:1–2 | Daily verse by logos.com | Faithlife

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
content.png

Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD! O Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy!

Psalm 130:1–2

Reactions: Lori Jane

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith

Cross References

a Ps 64:1; 119:149

Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint; guard my life from dread of the enemy.
Psalm 64:1

149 Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness; O Yahweh, revive me according to Your judgments.
Psalm 119:149

b 2 Chr 6:40; Neh 1:6, 11

40: “Now, O my God, I pray, let Your eyes be open and Your ears attentive to the prayer offered in this place.
2 Chronicles 6:40

6: Let Your ear now be attentive and Your eyes open to hear the prayer of Your slave, which I am praying before You today, day and night, on behalf of the sons of Israel, Your slaves, confessing the sins of the sons of Israel which we have sinned against You; I and my father’s house have sinned.
Nehemiah 1:6

11: “O Lord, I beseech You, may Your ear be attentive to the prayer of Your slave and the prayer of Your slaves who delight to fear Your name, and make Your slave successful today and grant him compassion before this man.” Now I was the cupbearer to the king.
Nehemiah 1:11

c Ps 28:2; 140:6

2: Hear the voice of my supplications when I cry to You for help, When I lift up my hands toward Your holy sanctuary.
Psalm 28:2

6 I said to Yahweh, “You are my God; give ear, O Yahweh, to the voice of my supplications.
Psalm 140:6

a Ps 76:7; 143:2; Nah 1:6; Mal 3:2; Rev 6:17

7 But You, You are fearsome; and And who can stand in Your presence when once you are angry?
Psalm 76:7

2 And do not enter into judgment with Your slave, for no one living is righteous in Your sight.
Psalm 143:2

Zayin 6 Who can stand before His indignation? Who can endure the burning of His anger? His wrath is poured out like fire, And the rocks are torn down by Him.
Nahum 1:6

2: “But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? He is like a smelter’s fire and like 1 fuller's soap.
Malachi 3:2

17 for the great DAY OF their WRATH has come, and who is able to stand?”
Revelation 6:17

Ex 34:7; Neh 9:17; Ps 86:5; Is 55:7; Dan 9:9

7 who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression, and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.”
Exodus 34:7

17: “They refused to listen, and they did not remember Your wondrous deeds which You did among them; So they became stiff-necked and gave themselves a chief to return to their slavery in Egypt. But You are a God of lavish forgiveness, Gracious and compassionate, Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness; And You did not forsake them.
Nehemiah 9:17

5: For You, Lord, are a good and by nature forgiving, And abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon You.
Psalm 86:5

7: Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him turn to Yahweh, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon.
Isaiah 55:7

9: “To the Lord our God belong compassion and forgiveness, 1for we have rebelled against Him;
Daniel 9:9

b 1 Kin 8:39, 40; Jer 33:8, 9

39 Then listen in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive, act and give to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for you alone know the hearts of all the sons of men.
1 Kings 8:39

40, that they may 1fear You all the days that they live upon the face of the land which You have given to our fathers.
1 Kings 8:40

8: ‘And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity by which they have sinned against Me, and I will pardon all their iniquities by which they have sinned against Me and by which they have transgressed against Me.
Jeremiah 33:8

9: ‘And it will be to Me a name of joy, praise, and beauty before the nations of the earth, which will hear of all the good that I do for them, and they will be in dread and tremble because of all the good and all the peace that I make for it.’
Jeremiah 33:9

a Ps 27:14; 33:20; 40:1; 62:1, 5; Is 8:17; 26:8

14: Hope in Yahweh; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Hope in Yahweh.
Psalm 27:14

20 Our soul ais patient for Yahweh; He is our help and our shield.
Psalm 33:20

I hoped earnestly for Yahweh, And He inclined to me and heard my cry for help.
Psalm 40:1

1 Surely my soul waits in silence for God; From Him bis my salvation.
Psalm 62:1

5: Surely await in silence for God, O my soul, For my hope is from Him.
Psalm 62:5

17 And I will await Yahweh, who is hiding His face from the house of Jacob, and I will hope for Him.
Isaiah 8:17

8 Indeed, while following the way of Your judgments, O Yahweh, We have hoped for You eagerly; Your name—the memory of You—is the desire of our souls.
Isaiah 26:8

b Ps 119:74, 81

74 May those who fear You see me and be glad, Because I wait for Your word.
Psalm 119:74

Kaph 81 My soul fails with longing for Your salvation; I wait for Your word.
Psalm 119:81

a Ps 63:6; 119:147

6: When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches.
Psalm 63:6

147 I eagerly greet the dawn and cry for help; I wait for Your words.
Psalm 119:147

a Ps 131:3

3: O Israel, await for Yahweh from now until forever.
Psalm 131:3

b Ps 86:5; 103:4

4: Who redeems your life from the pit, Who blesses you with lovingkindness and compassion?
Psalm 103:4

c Ps 111:9; Rom 3:24; Eph 1:7

Pe 9: He has sent redemption to His people; Tsadhe He has commanded His covenant forever; Qoph 1:Holy and fearsome is His name.
Psalm 111:9

24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;
Romans 3:24

7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our transgressions, according to the riches of His grace
Ephesians 1:7

Ps 103:3, 4; Luke 1:68; Titus 2:14

3 Who pardons all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases;
Psalm 103:3

"Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, For He visited and accomplished redemption for His people,
Luke 1:68

14 who agave Himself for us that He might redeem us from all lawlessness and purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good works.
Titus 2:14

2 Sam 22:28; Ps 101:5; Is 2:12; 52:13; Zeph 3:11

28: "And You save an afflicted people; but your eyes are on the haughty whom You bring down.
2 Samuel 22:28

Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor, I will destroy ; Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart, I will not endure.
Psalm 101:5

12: For Yahweh of hosts will have a day of reckoning against everyone who is proud and high And against everyone who is lifted up, That he may be made low.
Isaiah 2:12

The Exalted Servant 13 Behold, My servant will prosper; He will be high, lifted up and greatly blessed.
Isaiah 52:13

11: “In that day you will feel no shame Because of all your deeds By which you have transgressed against Me; For then I will remove from your midst your proud, exulting ones, And you will never again be haughty On My holy mountain.
Zephaniah 3:11

b Prov 30:13; Is 5:15; 52:13

13 There is a generation—oh, how haughty are its eyes! And its eyelids are lifted up.
Proverbs 30:13

15 So the common man will be bowed down and the man of importance will be made low, The eyes of the lofty will also be made low.
Isaiah 5:15

1 Lit go after, walk

Jer 45:5; Rom 12:16

5: ‘But as for you, are you seeking great things for yourself? Do not seek them; for behold, I am going to bring calamity on all flesh,’ declares Yahweh, ‘but I will give your life to you as spoil in all the places where you may go.’”
Jeremiah 45:5

16 by being of the same mind toward one another, not being haughty in mind, but associating with the humble. Do not be wise in your own mind.
Romans 12:16

Job 42:3; Ps 139:6

3: ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore, I have declared that, which I did not understand, things Things too marvelous for me, which I did not know.
Job 42:3

6: Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it.
Psalm 139:6

a Ps 62:1

b Matt 18:3; 1 Cor 14:20

3 and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 18:3

Brothers, do not be children in your thinking; rather, in evil, be infants, but in your thinking, be mature.
1 Corinthians 14:20

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
130:1 the depths The Hebrew word used here, ma'amaqqim, usually refers to the depths of the sea (see Isa 51:10). While Israelites did engage in sea travel and trade (compare Ps 107:23), the sea was usually viewed as a symbol of chaos and danger. Thus, ma'amaqqim may be a figurative expression for guilty feelings or some sort of literal imprisonment.

130:2 hear my voice The psalmist asks God to listen and answer favorably.

130:3–4 The psalmist seems to connect his suffering to possible punishment for sin, but he emphasizes Yahweh’s forgiving nature. He asserts that Yahweh forgives so that He might be worshiped; thus, the psalmist implies that he will worship Yahweh if Yahweh rescues him.

John D. Barry et al., Faithlife Study Bible (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2012, 2016), Ps 130:1–4.

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
130:1–2 O Lord, Hear My Cry for Mercy! The psalm climbs from out of the depths of misery over sin, to confession of it (vv. 3–4), to hope (vv. 5–6) and assurance (vv. 7–8). The tone is urgent, and the topic is my pleas for mercy.

Crossway Bibles, The ESV Study Bible (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2008), 1108.

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
130:1–2 The most effective prayers are made out of the depths of despair and dependence. See 1Sm 1:16.

Kevin R. Warstler, “Psalms,” in CSB Study Bible: Notes, ed. Edwin A. Blum and Trevin Wax (Nashville, TN: Holman Bible Publishers, 2017), 931.