Video Psalm 110:1 - "The LORD said to my Lord"

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith

Bible -- Verse -- Commentary. Psalm 110:1. Dr. Joe Martin & J. Dan Gill consider "Ps. 110:1" and related verses These Video Commentaries are an easy way to better understand scriptures. For other commentaries go to 21st Century Reformation http://www.21stcr.org/commentary.html. This video reflects on: What is Truth? "One God" believers around the world teach that traditional views about God as found in the Doctrine of the Trinity & in Oneness (UPCI), Apostolic, Arian & Mormon perspectives are inaccurate according to the Bible: that the truth about the One true God, faith & the gospel is not rightly reflected in any of those traditional doctrines. One God believers teach that all of those positions represent variations on Christian tradition rather than Biblical truth. You will find One God people preaching that: Yahweh is One & only One (Deut. 6:4) and that Jesus is the Christ (John 17:3) God's only begotten human son born of the virgin Mary. One God believers challenge Christianity to choose either truth or tradition about God. Dr. Joe Martin is a respected Bible teacher and President of Atlanta Bible College. J. Dan Gill is Chief Editor of 21st Century Reformation Online.

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith

James White exceptions to Psalm 110:1 explained and refuted!​

strongs #3068 (LORD), YHWH vs. #113 (Lord)

Claim from James White: “There’s nothing in Hebrew to differentiate between Adonai, adoni.”

“There is nothing in the original text that differentiates between these two terms. The Greek Septuagint does not differentiate between those two terms.

The very same Greek language that translates Adonai is translates Adoni in Psalm 35:23 and in Psalm 16:2 - so both of those texts indicate there is no differentiation whatsoever therefore when this comes into the New Testament from the Greek Septuagint there is none of the distinction.

Rebuttal:
But are these verses really exceptions?
Ps 15:2a LXX “I said to the Lord, Thou are my Lord (kyrious mou).” Ps 34:23 LXX Adonai “my God and my Lord (kyrious mou).”
Ps 110.1 “The LORD (Kyrios) said to my lord (to kyrio mou).”

to kyrio mou DOES NOT EQUAL kyrio mou

Even if it was the same word we know that exceptions are not the rule.

YHWH [Kyrios] contrasted with adoni [kyrios mou] every other time:

• Genesis 24.12, 27, 35, 42, 44, 48;
  • Numbers 36.2;
  • Joshua 5.14;
  • Judges 6.13;
  • 1 Samuel 1.15, 26; 25.26, 28-29, 31; 26.19;
  • 2 Samuel 14.17; 15.21; 18.31; 24.3, 21;
  • 1 Kings 1.17, 36-37; 18.10;
  • 2 Kings 5.18, 20;
  • 1 Chronicles 21.3

Bottom Line - False parallel, no applicable!
  • The Greek to kyrio mou (Ps 110:1) not found in Ps 16.2 or Ps 35:23.
  • Unique, rare exceptions should not be the rule!

Theological Dictionary of the OT, adhon:

“...for the LXX translators often render adhonai not by kyrios mou, ‘my Lord,’ but simply by kyrios, ‘Lord’...”

Last edited: