Orthodoxy

Tsarina Andadora

Bible Challenge
Oct 3, 2020
Earth
So idk where to post this, so I picked this part of the forum.

My younger brother is also exjw. For a time he was visiting with an evangelical sect known as the 2x2s. He and I had a falling out over this fact, because I saw them as a cult and he was doing it to date a girl. We have since mended and are doing well. I express honest interest in his faith journey.

In my own journey of finding faith post-borg, I looked at many things. Denominations obsessed with eschatology were attractive for a time, as well as denominations that offered structure (think SDA or other returning to practicing elements of the law denominations). Then denominations like Brethren that REALLY push helping people in practical ways.

So a big part of my journey has been uncovering the occultic in pop culture and then seeing it in the origins of the borg. Because of this I was exposed to a very famous scholar, who is also Orthodox. So then I myself looked into Orthodoxy.

So I'm just here to glean opinions, not really for debate. I do understand that orthodoxy is the oldest church. One of the things my brother brings out is that with no Orthodox church, we have no Bible, and that it is important to honor traditions of the church and the church fathers, because without the Bible that would be all we have.

For me, however I see a correlation with relying on traditions for my relationship with our Father and Jesus as the same bad habit of the jews of Jesus' day. I totally understand the desire for group worship. It is something I miss about not being jw anymore. I also understand that after decades of being told you know it all and you have the "truth" that maybe a way of worship based on mystery and tradition is refreshing for him....idk.

I feel like I understand both sides. I know I hold some beliefs that could very well stumble my fellow Christians and while I have scriptural reasons for what I see, I've learned to keep my mouth shut and pray they come to understand and know deeper. I know how much waking up to the jws hurt and many of my closest loved ones I either woke up around or helped wake up have left off of belief in this season and it breaks me. I want everyone to come to know truth that can set them free. Free from men. Free from tradition. Free from error.

So points of reason on why worship in Spirit and Truth trumps liturgy and clergy.

Thank you in advance.