Video John 20:28 - Did Thomas Confess that Jesus IS God?

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith

Many Christians have been taught that Thomas confesses that Jesus IS God in John 20:28, and that this verse is evidence in support of the doctrine of the Trinity. "My lord and my God", Thomas says.

But if we examine the Gospel of John, we find that Jesus actually taught Thomas something else. In John 14:6-7, Jesus tells Thomas that seeing Jesus, is seeing the Father, because of God's working through, and empowering of, Jesus. And in John 17:3, Jesus identifies God as the Father alone.

So when we read John 20:28, we should recognize what Thomas realizes: that in looking at Jesus, Thomas can see two. First he literally sees his miraculously resurrected teacher and lord. And secondly, he sees God the Father, metaphorically, via Jesus' status as empowered representative OF God. He sees Jesus, and the One who sent him. (John 12:45)

• Love
Reactions: Tsarina Andadora

Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
And this from the YouTube Comments:

Well done. I would add that the Greek to English actually translates: "....the Lord of me, AND, the God of me" which is exactly how a Greek speaking person in the first century would have acknowledged two persons. If Thomas was acknowledging one person the Greek would read more like John 20:17 in which Jesus says: "tell them I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." In this verse the Father and God of Jesus is one person.

As someone already stated, John 20:31 also refutes "Churchianity's" translation and interpretation of John 20:28.

If anyone still wants to play fast and loose with the word of YHWH and claim Jesus is YHWH (the Father of all) then they are mocking and maligning YHWH's word and robbing him of His glory, and robbing Jesus of his finished work on the cross.

AlaskanChristian

Jul 28, 2021
Amen!
My Lord AND My God
👇🏽👇🏽👇🏽👇🏽

“And he who sees me sees him who sent me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:45‬ ‭RSV‬‬

“Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe tha “Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you

https://www.bible.com/2020in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works.”

‭‭John‬ ‭14:8-10‬ ‭RSV‬‬

“Thomas answered him, “My Lord AND my God!”

****My Lord (Jesus) AND The Father IN Jesus doing his works.****

Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.””

‭‭John‬ ‭20:28-29‬ ‭RSV‬‬

AlaskanChristian

Jul 28, 2021
And this from the YouTube Comments:

Well done. I would add that the Greek to English actually translates: "....the Lord of me, AND, the God of me" which is exactly how a Greek speaking person in the first century would have acknowledged two persons. If Thomas was acknowledging one person the Greek would read more like John 20:17 in which Jesus says: "tell them I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." In this verse the Father and God of Jesus is one person.

As someone already stated, John 20:31 also refutes "Churchianity's" translation and interpretation of John 20:28.

If anyone still wants to play fast and loose with the word of YHWH and claim Jesus is YHWH (the Father of all) then they are mocking and maligning YHWH's word and robbing him of His glory, and robbing Jesus of his finished work on the cross.
More good stuff

Reactions: Lori Jane

Bvenski

Nov 24, 2020
Right on 👍

Look at the Greek of John 20:28:

Thomas answered and said to him,

“The lord (ie. Jesus) of me and the God (ie. Yahweh, the Father) of me!”

Thomas saw & knew that two persons were in front of him, see John 14:19-20.

Also see John 20:17. Thomas was one of Jesus's brethren. Thomas's Father and God is the same Father and God of Jesus.