General I thought this quote sums up religion today

Paolo

Oct 10, 2020
“It is customary to blame secular science and anti-religious philosophy for the eclipse of religion in modern society. It would be more honest to blame religion for its own defeats. Religion declined not because it was refuted, but because it became irrelevant, dull, oppressive, insipid. When faith is completely replaced by creed, worship by discipline, love by habit; when the crisis of today is ignored because of the splendor of the past; when faith becomes an heirloom rather than a living fountain; when religion speaks only in the name of authority rather than with the voice of compassion--its message becomes meaningless.”

Abraham Joshua Heschel, God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism

Shelley

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Little story of my own while waking up. 2017 Conventiin in Vancouver. I get in the hotel elevator 6 am to go down to get coffee for my sis and I. I'm in sweats and T shirt, barely awake yet. A lady and 2 gents get in elevator. Fully dressed clutching their lunch boxes and bibles. I said my arnt you folks looking all shiny and raring to go, while I'm still needing my caffeine. The lady looks scornfully at me sticks her nose in the air and says "Well we are JWs and we've got a convention" I said believe or not Iam too but Im not as early as you. I'll see you there when the opening music begins at 9:45. Could have heard a pin drop. So is self righteouness an indicator of intolerance?

Eyesontheprize

Bible Challenge
Oct 17, 2020
Little story of my own while waking up. 2017 Conventiin in Vancouver. I get in the hotel elevator 6 am to go down to get coffee for my sis and I. I'm in sweats and T shirt, barely awake yet. A lady and 2 gents get in elevator. Fully dressed clutching their lunch boxes and bibles. I said my arnt you folks looking all shiny and raring to go, while I'm still needing my caffeine. The lady looks scornfully at me sticks her nose in the air and says "Well we are JWs and we've got a convention" I said believe or not Iam too but Im not as early as you. I'll see you there when the opening music begins at 9:45. Could have heard a pin drop. So is self righteouness an indicator of intolerance?
This also reminds me how embarrassing it would be to go out with a big group of JW's after a convention and they would flash their badges and then leave the crappiest tips (cheap!) we always tried to add extra but a lot (not all) are super cheap. --- also after conventions at like an Embassy suites there would be a mile long line in the lobby for the free happy hour and everyone in their badges would be 3 sheets to the wind. Do they think the staff doesn't notice.

• Wow
Reactions: Shelley