Exiting the JW Cult: A healing handbook for current & former Jehovah’s Witnesses by Bonnie Zieman

deebibliophile

Buddy
Bible Challenge
Oct 12, 2020
I am very interested in the psychological impact that being a Jehovah’s Witness has had on me. What attracted me to this book is that it was written by an ex Jehovah’s Witness that became a psychologist. Sometimes books written by psychologists are very generalized or specific to cults or high control groups other than JW’s. I am only a few chapters in but I find it refreshing that the author uses terms I am familiar with and addresses issues specific to JW’s. Also, the chapters are short so you can finish a chapter without a huge time commitment. In fact the book is short, or short to me. It is less than 200 pages.

So far I am taking what the book says with a grain of salt. I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with everything being said from the aspect of a psychologist (I am not a psychologist, of course.) For example, I don’t know if I feel comfortable with the butterfly hug suggestion. (You’d have to read the book to know what I mean). However, the book has given me a new perspective on the mental impact of my JW experience. Any insight in that arena is welcome. I hope that if someone else reads this book, they can say the same and it helps them in some way.

Upvote 0

Rosie

Bible Challenge
Oct 7, 2020
I am very interested in the psychological impact that being a Jehovah’s Witness has had on me. What attracted me to this book is that it was written by an ex Jehovah’s Witness that became a psychologist. Sometimes books written by psychologists are very generalized or specific to cults or high control groups other than JW’s. I am only a few chapters in but I find it refreshing that the author uses terms I am familiar with and addresses issues specific to JW’s. Also, the chapters are short so you can finish a chapter without a huge time commitment. In fact the book is short, or short to me. It is less than 200 pages.

So far I am taking what the book says with a grain of salt. I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with everything being said from the aspect of a psychologist (I am not a psychologist, of course.) For example, I don’t know if I feel comfortable with the butterfly hug suggestion. (You’d have to read the book to know what I mean). However, the book has given me a new perspective on the mental impact of my JW experience. Any insight in that arena is welcome. I hope that if someone else reads this book, they can say the same and it helps them in some way.
I have read this book, I thought it was really good. I was able to get my sister to read chapter 17, she is a POMO/POMI, never baptized studied on and off for 20+ years and our mom keeps trying to get her to "come back to Jehovah". This book is good for overall trauma understanding as well, at least I thought it was. Here is to hoping it helps my sister stay POMO and let go of the lies our mom keeps forcing on her.