Lori Jane

Administrator
Buddy
Bible Challenge
Sep 18, 2020
Central Florida USA
simplychristian.faith
I learned early in my waking up period about cogn

itive dissonance - it greatly helped me to understand how I could have been in a cult of 30 years and not realize it or accept so many things that I deep down didn't agree with.

Here are some videos and links that go into this topic. Please reply to this thread to share your thoughts or experiences with this.

Short Blog Article JW Support:
Cognitive Dissonance

Wikipedia:

Cognitive bias

Most people experience cognitive dissonance from time to time (the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change). However, the level to which the JW's experience this is on an extreme level, making it nearly impossible for them to ever consider evidence that contradicts their beliefs and worldview.

Reddit:

My research paper on Cognitive Dissonance in Jehovah’s Witnesses

An Expert Explains Cognitive Dissonance (with Professor Jonas Kaplan)​

(Cedars' vlog no. 309) We all know the feeling of discomfort and revulsion when we're confronted by ideas that conflict with cherished beliefs. But how exactly does cognitive dissonance work, and what purpose does it serve? Neuroscientist Jonas Kaplan joins me to share his knowledge on this little-understood subject.

Question Your Faith - The Cognitive Dissonance of Jehovah's Witnesses​

In this second video in a series of 5, I discuss some of the conflicts in Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs. The way in which they maintain two levels of beliefs. The first being the official beliefs of the the Jehovah's Witnesses, what is dictated and mandated by the Governing Body, versus the second, softened and more palatable word of mouth version of the religion.
renderTimingPixel.png

Last edited:

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
The WCG was just like the JW's in this respect. That explains the many splinter groups of the WCG. I think there are over 50 of them.