General ‘Jehovah’: A Christian Misunderstanding

benadam1974

Nov 15, 2020
I believe that as Christians we should be sensitive to this ancient Jewish tradition. Although we may feel that Jewish exegetes of old were too pedantic in their interpretation of the third commandment, we must remember that Jesus himself apparently always avoided the use of the divine name by employing substitutes such as "Heaven" and "Power." Certainly we should not create new names for God such as Jehovah out of our ignorance of Jewish conventions.

Vanda Medeiros

Aug 14, 2022
Charlotte Court House, Virginia
I believe that as Christians we should be sensitive to this ancient Jewish tradition. Although we may feel that Jewish exegetes of old were too pedantic in their interpretation of the third commandment, we must remember that Jesus himself apparently always avoided the use of the divine name by employing substitutes such as "Heaven" and "Power." Certainly we should not create new names for God such as Jehovah out of our ignorance of Jewish conventions.
I agree and it goes even further back. 400 years after the death of Jesus was the first time that they found the name Jehovah in the old manuscripts. But it was only in a few places. Handful actually. My husband was watching a Scholar explaining and showing how the Tetragrammaton YHWH translates to it reading in Hebrew “ The God and God” so how do you come to adding the vowels in between to come up with Jehovah? Or even trying to pronounce it as Yahweh… it’s just describing who he is.
That’s like taking “ woman “ and making a name out of it and calling her doming she is not. So personally we decided to just call God Almighty our Heavenly Father with deep respect. Loved the article ☺️

Reactions: Lori Jane

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
Israel was terrified to use God's name for fear of using it in vain. This resulted in their never speaking or writing the name. Over the centuries the correct pronunciation and spelling was lost. Jews today use Hashem that translates to " the name". The Hebrew alphabet has no vowels which further complicates this issue.

benadam1974

Nov 15, 2020
Israel was terrified to use God's name for fear of using it in vain. This resulted in their never speaking or writing the name. Over the centuries the correct pronunciation and spelling was lost. Jews today use Hashem that translates to " the name". The Hebrew alphabet has no vowels which further complicates this issue.
Some say Jesus' use of the divine passive, over 100 times in the Gospels, is evidence of this.

LeeB

Dec 3, 2022
This was due in large part to reveal Yahweh as a loving and merciful Father so that those of us given to understand feel His love for us in His willingness to sacrifice His only begotten son so that we might become a part of His family.

Reactions: Lori Jane