Article How Cults Use Fear To Control You | (Part 3) | Written By Christopher Karvountzis

SC Facilitator

Staff member
Nov 29, 2022
How Cults Use Fear To Control You

One man’s freedom fighter...

Recently, I posted a kind of coming out story, this was a big moment for me; my official launch into advocacy. For me, this announcement marked a milestone on my journey, as I endeavour to educate the public on the dangers of high control groups. For those in the cult I was born into however, this would be described very differently. For them, this was my launch into apostasy...

The Lasting Fear

As the LinkedIn notifications pinged, my attention was drawn to a public comment from someone I had known long ago in another life. She mentioned she knew exactly what it was like to have been raised in that cult. A brave act, I had known her family very well when I was in the cult and, as she would have well known, speaking out would not have been without internal and external consequence.

So deep was our indoctrination, that when our paths crossed when I was working in the Riverland, she found it necessary to tell me that she was once a Jehovah’s Witness but was now disfellowshipped. She was unsure whether I would want anything to do with her.

I didn’t think much of it at the time. Now however, it sheds a blinding light on the sheer amount of trauma that this cult inflicts on people. The guilt, shame and worthlessness that it engenders in current and former members is harrowing and is a stark reminder of how even many years post-cult, indoctrination and programming lingers.

JW organization stresses the need to stay away from disfellowshipped people. The religion teaches that they are to be viewed as already dead in the eyes of God.

Apostasy, however, is an even deeper level. The generally accepted definition of apostasy is embracing a position contrary to one’s previous religious belief. The Jehovah’s Witnesses take this so much further. Disagreement, even thinking things contrary to official doctrine is strictly forbidden.

Imagine a close friend that you share everything with. Your feelings, thoughts and doubts. In this cult, which practices member based reporting to the authority structure or local elders, your personal thoughts and opinions can and will be used against you. Your friend, even your spouse, will feel compelled to report to elders your “criminal” thoughts or actions that are contrary to official doctrine.

From their elders manual -

“Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates.” Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock p.94

Showing the truly cult like nature of the Jehovah’s Witness organization this quote claims that apostates have rebelled against their organization:

“Apostasy is abandoning or deserting the worship and service of God, actually a rebellion against Jehovah God. Some apostates profess to know and serve God but reject teachings or requirements set out in his Word. Others claim to believe the Bible but reject Jehovah's organization.” Reasoning From the Scriptures p.34

The JW organization goes further in undermining any who leave, stating they are to be loathed and hated:

"Apostates often seek to make others their followers. (Ac 20:30; 2Pe 2:1, 3) Such ones willfully abandoning the Christian congregation thereby become part of the “antichrist.” (1Jo 2:18, 19) As with the apostate Israelites, destruction is likewise foretold for apostates from the Christian congregation." Apostasy - Insight, Volume 1

The JW organization goes further to simultaneously instil a fear of leaving their organization with a fear of anyone who has left, illustrated in the following quotes.

"With apostates earth wide being destroyed, what reason can one have for the confidence of life in paradise to follow?" Kingdom Ministry September 1973 p.6

"The obligation to hate lawlessness also applies to all activity by apostates. Our attitude toward apostates should be that of David, who declared: "Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you " Watchtower 1992 July 15 pp.12-13 Christ Hated Lawlessness-Do You?

the words of Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses member Anthony Morris III leave little doubt as to how the organization vies those who were once members:
God teaches his people these things. This is what he's foretelling, and frankly for friends of Jehovah God, how reassuring. They are finally going to be gone, all these despicable enemies that have just reproached Jehovah's name, destroyed never ever to live again. Now it's not that we rejoice in someone's death, but when it comes to God's enemies, finally, they are out of the way, especially these despicable apostates who at one point had dedicated their life to God and then they joined forces with Satan the Devil, the chief apostate of all time." Morning Worship Recording Sep 2020 Anthony Morris III: Jehovah Will "Carry It Out" (Isa. 46:11) Morning worship address dated September 2020.

Support, Love and Feeling Seen

Regardless of your current belief system or worship practices, it’s clear to see that the tactics the JW cult employ are manipulative, cruel, and intended to instil hate and fear into their followers.

The organization leaves no room for personal opinions, no room for disagreement and no room for the bonds of friendship/family with those who leave or disagree with their teachings and practices.

Ultimately, it is practices like this one that have inspired me to help others affected by cults like Jehovah’s Witnesses. I am dedicated to raising awareness of the harmful practices of cults and high-control groups in an effort to bring public attention to how damaging these teachings and beliefs are. I am determined to help people on their journey out of such groups and to find their freedom and path in life.

Source: How Cults Use Fear To Control You