An Humble Inquiry by Thomas Emlyn

Bvenski

Nov 24, 2020
41lomZZUQOL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I had never heard of Thomas Emlyn before. When I saw that Dr. Tuggy & Kegan Chandler edited this 1702 work, well, I just had to read it. Emlyn was basically an Arian, though he would deny it and preferred to call himself a unitarian Christian. He couldn't dump the pre-existence of the Son. I was most impressed with how he handled John 16:30, John 21:17 in Chapter 3, in that Jesus knowing all things is misconstrued to make him God. He used 3 strong arguments, and more, to show how the "all things" is not meant to infer that Jesus knows absolutely everything. He has a great quote at the end, page 108, where he states Trinitarians believe Jesus is no good unless he is God:

"They do, on this supposition, openly disown him as their savior and confidence. They are ashamed to trust in him and seem rather to mock and criticize him as insufficient and insignificant than to believe in him."

Spot on! I highly recommend this short book. Emlyn's work got him thrown in jail. Those old skool, pesky blasphemy laws, got him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lori Jane
Upvote 0