Devotional 3.21 | Space for Grace | FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (5) Thirsty

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 21st
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (5) Thirsty

Jesus: I am thirsty. A jar of sour wine had been left there, so they took a hyssop branch with a sponge soaked in the vinegar and put it to His mouth.

John 19:28-29, The Voice

March 21st       JESUS image.jpg

Action: Only after pouring out his pastoral heart in serving the needs of others, did Jesus give voice to his own needs. “Knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled,” Jesus said, “I thirst.” In his anguish Jesus remained clear-headed so that the prophecy of Psalm 69:21 might be fulfilled: “For my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.” It was posca, a drink popular with Roman soldiers, made by diluting sour wine vinegar with water.

It was inexpensive, considered more thirst quenching than water alone and the taste made bad smelling water more palatable.

The hyssop plant used to lift the drink to the Lord, the lamb of God, is the same plant used during Passover to brush the blood of the lamb on the doorposts of Hebrew homes (Exodus 12:22). The end was near, so he drank only enough to moisten his parched throat so that his last words of triumph might be heard across the hilltop of Golgotha.

Application:​

• This acute thirst demonstrates his physical suffering and that he understands our hurting too (Heb 2:17-18).

• In Adam, we all face the “everlasting burnings” of God’s judgment and wrath against sin (Isa 33:14). Nothing can quench this fire except the Son who absorbed the dry heat of God’s wrath – he thirsted on the cross for us. In this sense He died of thirst!

• Our raging thirst for God can only be assuaged through the Spirit of Christ indwelling us (Ps 42:1-2; 63:1-2; John 4:13-14; 7:38-39).

“I will freely give to the thirsty from the spring of the water of life.” (Rev 21:6, CEV)​

Attachments

• March 21st JESUS.pdf
    237.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Lori Jane