Devotional 3.18 | Space for Grace | FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (2) Paradise

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 18th
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (2) Paradise

"And he was saying: Jesus! remember me, whensoever thou mayest come in thy kingdom.

And Jesus said to him, Verily, to thee I say, this day,

with me shalt be in the paradise." Luke 23:42-43, J B Rotherham (1878 edition)

March 18th      JESUS image.jpg

Action: Jesus died in the company of two anonymous individuals. As the crowd insulted, mocked and spat on Him, Jesus never replied. But when one of the criminals said “remember me when you get into your kingdom”, expressing faith and humbly seeking mercy, Jesus instantly responded with compassion and assurance.

It would be easy to become involved in a theological debate over the meaning of the word “paradise” and where the comma should be placed in the verse above (Matt 26:34; Mark 14:30), yet sadly miss the grace of God. Jesus gave this man what he was most in need of at that moment: hope, the hope that is born of salvation in Christ (Heb 6:18).

What did he do to be saved? Here is the scandal of grace. He is a living example of the parable of the Workers in the Vineyard (Matt 20:1–6). He is coming in at the very end of the day and receiving the same payment as those who have been faithful to God their whole life. He is not going to be able to make restitution for his wrongs, to apologize to the people he has hurt, or to turn his life around.

Application: Have you come to Jesus with humility, admitting your sinfulness and unworthiness? (Luke 23:40-41) Do you believe that Jesus saves people before they clean themselves up? (Rom 4:5) Do you have the courage to confess your belief in Jesus as Lord in the face of sarcasm and derision?

“Grace” is unmerited favor; Mercy” is grace expressed.

Attachments

• March 18th JESUS.pdf
    229 KB · Views: 0