Devotional 3.17 | Space for Grace | FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (1) Forgive

Jim

Bible Challenge
Oct 5, 2020
March 17th
JESUS’ FINAL WEEK

FRIDAY – Jesus’ Last Words (1) Forgive

Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Luke 23:34, English Standard Version

March 17th       JESUS image.jpg

Action: Jesus dies forgiving. When he cries out “Father, forgive them”, Jesus articulates the very meaning of his having come into this world. Indeed, his very name “Jesus” means he will save his people from their sins (Matt 1:21). These people mocking Him, abusing Him, and putting Him to death didn't understand what they were doing. In some twisted way, many of them believed that what they did was noble - even good - they were doing God's work.

The request for forgiveness was not only for only those who were directly responsible for the humiliation that he was being subjected to, but for every human being. Consider though how this forgiveness extended to “all the house of Israel” who had Jesus crucified (Acts 2:36; 3:15- 17). What sin could be more heinous than murdering God’s Son? Imagine a courtroom where the judge is faced with the man guilty of murdering the judge’s son. The judge’s decision? Not only to forgive the criminal but invite him into his own family by offering him the hand of his daughter in marriage!

Application: On the cross, Jesus teaches us that forgiveness, as opposed to reconciliation, can be unilateral, and does not require the involvement of both parties. I can, and I must, forgive my offender even if they have not asked for my forgiveness. Stephen, under the rain of stones that was ending his life, was the first of Jesus' followers to follow his Lord and Master's example (Acts 7:60). We are also called to do likewise.

Attachments

• March 17th JESUS.pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 0